Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10th Annual Print Review January 28th - Midwest Large Format Asylum

10th Annual Print Review January 28th - Midwest Large Format Asylum

The Midwest Large Format Asylum will host its 10th annual print review on Saturday, January 28th in Chesterton, Indiana. If you have prints captured with a large format camera, you are welcome to come and show and enjoy. It is free to attend. Come and meet other fellow large format shooters. It will be held at:

Best Western Indian Oak
    558 Indian Boundary Road
    Chesterton, Indiana 46304

Since weather in January can be unpredictable, we highly recommend coming on Friday & staying overnight. We will enjoy an informal dinner Friday night. It is a great time to make new friends who have a passion for large format photography.

Here is a short video of last year's show made by Craig Sheaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGL06EnuNw

We hope you mark your calendar and take time to join us in January.

Rick Tapio

Re: 10th Annual Print Review January 28th - Midwest Large Format Asylum

Seven weeks to get your portfolio together. We light the room to show about 20 mounted prints, more or less. We average between 15 & 20 portfolios....which means we are pretty exhausted by the end of the day. Each photographer has a few minutes to discuss their work or answer questions from others. The order of portfolios is determined by drawing a number out of a hat. This event is free to attend (although we do take up a free-will donation to help pay for the room). There is no judging...just enjoying. To show prints, the only requirement we have, is that the image needed to be captured by a large format camera. We see both darkroom & digital prints. Chesterton, Indiana is a pretty central location for our group as they come from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. We now call our gathering "Inspiration Saturday." If you need some inspiration, this would be a good place to be January 28th.

Six weeks until "Inspiration Saturday." Want to see some great large format images? Want to meet other LF photographers of like mind? January 28th - Chesterton, Indiana. It's free. Join us (and bring some prints made with your LF camera). No judging - just enjoying. Warning - be prepared to be totally exhausted by the end of the day!

Rick Tapio

South Bend photographer and teacher Craig Sheaks did a short video at last year's event which might help to give you an idea of what goes on at these events. It's on Youtube somewhere. We're a very informal group and other than having been photographed with a large format camera there are no rules. Prints don't have to be made by any particular process, don't have to be framed or even mounted and you don't need to give a speech about anything. Due to the number of folks showing please try to limit yourself to 20 prints or fewer.

Jump in and join the fun!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Here is the link again to the video shot at last year's print review made by Craig Sheaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGL06EnuNw

I recommend that LF Forum members within reasonable distance of Chesterton, Indiana, on the south end of Lake Michigan consider bringing some prints and participating in this Print Review. Last January was my first year to actually show some prints (after attending and enjoying for 3 years) because my darkroom became functional only in April 2015; but there will be photographers participating who have all levels of experience. I've come away 'inspired' each year. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

All levels of experience are welcome. As I mentioned above, there is no judging and a lot of encouragement & inspiration in the room. No matter what level you are, there is always more to learn. I think there is a quote that says, "the more I learn about photography, the harder it gets." Because of the possibility of bad weather in January, we encourage participants to come in a day early & stay overnight (We have a block of rooms reserved...just mention you are with the Midwest photography group). We will be setting up the lights & seats Friday afternoon in our conference room & then will go out for a casual dinner (Applebee's is always popular). This is a great time to make new friends with like-minded photographers. I learn something every year. January 28th is just a little over 4 weeks away. Hope you join us.

I love the quote from photography writer, teacher & shooter Bill Jay...he says....

In photography, "when all is said & done, more is said than done."

Is that you? All talk lately & no action. Pack some prints (or not) & join us in 3 weeks for an "Inspirational Saturday." January 28th will be a full day of looking & enjoying photographs captured with large format cameras. No judging.....just a lot of inspiration.

What time will it be starting on the Saturday morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The door will open around 8 am (after breakfast at Peggy Sue's downtown Chesterton). People will show up any time after 8. We need to get everyone registered, have them fill out a lunch request (we cater in lunch), and draw a number out of a hat for the order to show prints. We try to get the first portfolio up by 9 am, depending on weather. With Chesterton being at the south end of Lake Michigan, bad weather can always be an issue (we encourage people to arrive Friday night & stay over), so if we think more are coming, the start time is flexible. We are a pretty informal group & nothing is carved into stone.