Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: B&H No Longer Shipping Chemistry

Jim Sidinger

Re: B&H No Longer Shipping Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If we managed to shun or boycott each remaining supplier for traditional photographic supplies, given the fact that somebody always seem to have a grudge on
    one supplier or another, it would be like shooting off a foot to compensate for a sore toe on the other. Pretty soon nobody would be left.
    +1
    and, as I said earlier in this thread: while it make some feel better to do so, the fact is that we would not be really hurting them in any significant way if we stopped buying from them. My guess is that traditional darkroom and LF is well south of 1% of their total yearly sales. One of those digital Nikons they sell has got to be = a 'ton' of bottles Ilford chemistry with free shipping.

Actually most consumer electronics are pretty low profit items from what I remember working in sales and knowing wholesale/retail prices. The big money is in the accessories and extras. Before MAP regulations some huge retailers could advertise low-margin items at lower prices than mom-and-pops even got them for at wholesale due to smaller orders. I used to work at one of the largest music instrument dealers in the country and trolled through the inventory prices out of curiosity and bought a lot of stuff at wholesale (employee perk).

I have no idea about profit margins on chemicals. Seems like it should be pretty high.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    +1
    and, as I said earlier in this thread: while it make some feel better to do so, the fact is that we would not be really hurting them in any significant way if we stopped buying from them.
    The question is do you want to deal with a retailer that takes you for a chump?

Drew Wiley

Given the incredible level of electronics competition out there, I'd imagine the profit margin on traditional darkroom odds n' ends is far higher than digital gear.
    Volume of demand has obviously shrunken. Other aftermarket items like camera bags probably have an obscene markup level from the point of mfg to actual sale, though I don't know what percent they get at the retail level. Ya gotta make money where you can, when you can. Some product lines attract new business, while a combination of all kinds of other things might drive higher profit margins. And the snazzy equipment requires the highest inventory commitment, dollar-wise. I speak this with a helluva lot of experience, and a helluva track record to go with it, though attempting to be a photo supplier would frighten me like a ghost. No thanks. But anybody that thinks you can lo-ball everything will be out of business pretty fast. So that approach doesn't do customers any good at all in the long haul. B&H has been around a long time, and I hope they will be in the future. So if diversifying in some manner that might not appeal to me personally keeps them healthy, that's fine with me. Chemicals are best served by specialized niche dealers anyway.

As someone who has been debating giving up film processing, this might push me over the edge. I have some chemicals stockpiled, but I am in a part of the country where you cannot buy stuff off the shelf. Wonder how many others are on this fence?

But what about Adorama? Not a favorite, but they seem to still be shipping chemicals.

Drew Wiley

You don't have UPS or Fedex or even a Post Office? Heck, I bet if someone had an old motorcycle in your neighborhood and wanted to refurbish it, they would have
    the determination to find parts and ship them in. People probably even ship in feathers and hooks to make their own customized fishing flies or lures. Basic darkroom chemistry is easy to get. Sounds like you have some other reason for throwing in the towel, and are just looking for an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I am in a part of the country where you cannot buy stuff off the shelf
    Of course this is mostly due to my age, but I have never even seen a dedicated photography store that stocked film and chemicals. I think there is maybe one or two places in Atlanta that still might sell film and possibly some D76 or other standard stuff, but obviously I'm not going to spend $25 in gas and public transit or parking fees to go there.

Isn't that the case for most everyone nowadays who don't live in NY, LA, or a couple other very large cities?

This is why I buy things in bulk and use long-lasting one-shot chemicals. I stopped using XTOL because it went bad too fast in large quantities, etc. - so for instance I am still working on my last order of 5 bottles of Rodinal from Freestyle and a few bottles of FX-39 I ordered. It seems to me B&H was often the vendor of choice for international or large orders for the free shipping, and yes the last time I ordered from them was to get two giant 5 gallon jugs of fixer that would've cost $50 to ship from CA but shipped free from B&H.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    As someone who has been debating giving up film processing, this might push me over the edge. I have some chemicals stockpiled, but I am in a part of the country where you cannot buy stuff off the shelf. Wonder how many others are on this fence?
    What about Lakeland Photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Of course this is mostly due to my age, but I have never even seen a dedicated photography store that stocked film and chemicals. I think there is maybe one or two places in Atlanta that still might sell film and possibly some D76 or other standard stuff, but obviously I'm not going to spend $25 in gas and public transit or parking fees to go there.

Isn't that the case for most everyone nowadays who don't live in NY, LA, or a couple other very large cities?

This is why I buy things in bulk and use long-lasting one-shot chemicals. I stopped using XTOL because it went bad too fast in large quantities, etc. - so for instance I am still working on my last order of 5 bottles of Rodinal from Freestyle and a few bottles of FX-39 I ordered. It seems to me B&H was often the vendor of choice for international or large orders for the free shipping, and yes the last time I ordered from them was to get two giant 5 gallon jugs of fixer that would've cost $50 to ship from CA but shipped free from B&H.
    Showcase and PPR have free parking, so you can't use that as an excuse.