Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod & Carry-On

Les

Re: Tripod & Carry-On

Peter, you might be doing this chicken all wrong :>). I usually fly 2-3 times per year and I use a sizable (non-rip-nylon duffle). My Feisol tripod fits (w/o head) perfectly inside + other items, such as clothes, accessories, bla bla. Sure, I insulate it with various items and it goes below....and I bring the backpack inside the plane.

Yes, the TSA thing is all over the map....and I learned my lesson, since the tripod could be utilized as a "weapon" (in some folks view). Ha, what's worse is, that TSA may allow you to take it aboard, but object to it on the way back from Austin.

Les

I just flew from Milwaukee to Dallas and back for a judo tournament, and I go to a number of tournaments around the country (and Canada) every year. I video my girls's matches. To do that I carry on a small bag with my camera gear, and I carry a Gitzo 1227. I pack the head in someone else's carry on. I put the tripod in the overhead bin. I've never had anyone question me about this, and I've done it for years.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Go to a UPS store, have them box the tripod, ship it with a roll of packing tape inside, and save the box for re-shipping home.

Tripod
    &
    Carry
    On

Would make a nice T-shirt...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I fly with my tripod severl times a year. It has spikes, but never a problem at security. Portland, New York, Boston, Burlington, Chicago, Denver.
    I have had two carry on bags plus tripod and been fine.
    My tripod is in a soft case which has an orange end. I have twice been asked if it is a gun. Silly people. But I appreciate "see something say something" policies.

~nicholas
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Well, I'm surprised to hear of all the incidences where people have been able to bring their tripods on to a flight. I had a small hexagonal wrench less than the size of my pinky almost confiscated at the Taipei airport last year. I made sure to have my tripods go in my checked luggage each time afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photographer

There are some restrictions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0871.PNG  
    Keith Pitman

Drew Wiley

That figures. No wonder airline cabins always smell so stale !

+1 with the duffle bag tripod transport... I carry an old Tiltall in a heavy canvas army surplus duffle with my clothes around it for padding and nobody cares about it in there when checked in to cargo below... ;-)

Steve K

Definitely nobody is going to care if you check it.

Last time I checked (2-3 months ago) the TSA web site said tripods are allowed. But. Agents at the security checkpoint have a lot of leeway to refuse to allow objects. And your airline can refuse it also. I put mine in checked luggage. I keep a tripod at my parents' house since I visit there fairly often. Actually, I keep a 4x5 camera at my parents' house. All I need to take there is film and a lens.