Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

Re: Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

If all you are doing is cutting thin plywood why not do it with hand saws. Get yourself a good saw, practice a bit until you are proficient and go to it.

Here's a good selection to get you drooling— http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/hand-saws.aspx

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

A wide Japanese pull saw would work nicely. The problem with REAL Japanese hand tools is that you're expected to sit cross-legged on a bamboo mat for twenty years practicing with a sharpened stick, alongside a master, before you deserve a real saw or real chisel. But make one mistake, and you're expected to die with
    honor with your chosen implement.

I have a Proxxon KS115 micro table saw. Very limited and not worth the money in my opinion. I intend to spend about $600 and get a Byrnes Model machines table saw with a few extra accessories. Not cheap but from all feed back the best choice by far. But for your use I'd opt for a regular 10 inch blade bench table saw and spend some money on some good finish blades. Probably set you back about $400 but you cannot expect to make sawdust without good tools.

hacker extraordinaire

Electricity is not required for everything. A hand saw and miter box should be great for any sort of wood camera in all but high volume production.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Les

One thing about the hand saws from Japan, the good ones are amazing.....leaving v. clean edge and the cut is less than 1/16" thick. Yes, they are joy to use and some are quite expensive. You should be able find some good ones here japanwoodworker.com‎

There are many ways to do this type of project. Some would cut the pieces with a hand saw or saber saw and clean it all up to final tolerances with a router (on a router table). One can use a "job site" saw (in US) like Dewalt, Makita or Bosch. Also, I've seen some inventive contractors, who installed one of the hand saws (7 1/2" blade) upside down, installing the switch seperately....and able to operate similarly as a conventional table saw.

If you utilise proper wood aids as a straight edge, you could get a miter saw (known as a chopsaw) and you could easily obtain v. good precision with that.

No matter, safety is crucial no matter what you use.

Les

(Shrek)

Don't let anyone talk you into buying an expensive hand saw for this. The biggest advantage of a proper table saw, hobby or otherwise, is repeatability. You set it up for the cut you need and you can knock off 1 or 100 pieces all exactly the same. Unless you have a 20 year-old's eyes and hands (or a lifetime of training), it's the only way to go.

I would much rather have inexperienced people using high quality hand tools than things like table saws that have great potential for serious injury. Both hand and power tools require learning and practice to use well, but with hand tools the likelihood of losing digits is fairly remote.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

just get an old 8" or 10" off craigslist for $25-50. put a 7 1/4" Diablo blade in it.
    I just sold an old Craftsman at a garage sale for $30 because it was too heavy for job sites.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I would much rather have inexperienced people using high quality hand tools than things like table saws that have great potential for serious injury. Both hand and power tools require learning and practice to use well, but with hand tools the likelihood of losing digits is fairly remote.
    What, I've been doing this for 40 years and I still have 7 fingers, I don't see what the problem is?

Actually, the only tool I've ever injured myself with was a hand tool. 5 stitches in my left palm 3 years ago because a stupid Chinese knock-off wouldn't hold a sharp edge. The secret to not getting injured is using the right tool for the job. and not letting yourself get impatient or distracted.

Drew Wiley

Power tool can be designed to keep your fingers out of the way. Plenty of them already have been. I just don't like the mess table saws produce, nor their relative lack of accuracy. Take it from someone who has sold the damn things for decades. Missing fingers? Never seen anything like that. How can you see something that
    is missing? In fomers days we had laborers who grew up in places like Arkansas where the idea of a table saw was a washing machine motor connected to a big
    saw blade with an open V-belt. They were the lucky ones if they still had seven fingers left to count. They could all tell stories about people they knew who were killed using those home-made rigs, cutting firewood.