Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

Re: Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Power tool can be designed to keep your fingers out of the way. Plenty of them already have been. I just don't like the mess table saws produce, nor their relative lack of accuracy. Take it from someone who has sold the damn things for decades. Missing fingers? Never seen anything like that. How can you see something that
    is missing? In fomers days we had laborers who grew up in places like Arkansas where the idea of a table saw was a washing machine motor connected to a big
    saw blade with an open V-belt. They were the lucky ones if they still had seven fingers left to count. They could all tell stories about people they knew who were killed using those home-made rigs, cutting firewood.
    My grandfather had a 1926 Chevrolet set up to cut cord wood. I remember it had a huge (in my young eyes) saw blade attached to the drive shaft. I'm not sure whatever happened to that beast, but it looked scary.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    My grandfather had a 1926 Chevrolet set up to cut cord wood. I remember it had a huge (in my young eyes) saw blade attached to the drive shaft. I'm not sure whatever happened to that beast, but it looked scary.

m
    we had one of those too for cutting slabwood leftover from our sawmill that took the belt from the Farmall H tractor. It had a 20 inch blade and no blade guard to speak of. No one ever lost a digit.

Drew Wiley

We had a real sawmill in town. It still operated with an old-style greenchain. About twice a year a worker on the greenchain line would get caught in it, and himself
    get turned into dimensional lumber. Then two or three tree toppers would get killed each year. Still, it was a vastly safer industry compared to how logging was
    done around there in the latter part of the 19th century. Horrible accidents still occur even in the modern automated mills. Won't go into details.

I think you may be limited in accessories with a small saw. I'd opt for a nice 10" table saw that would incorporate a good fence and accessories like outfeed tables, featherboards, etc. Build some jigs to make cutting small pieces repeatable and safe. Invest in a zero-clearance insert as the small pieces will have a tendency to slip in a normal saw slot and kickback.

After experiencing a kickback, I invested in a MicroJig Grr-Ripper adjustable push block and MJ-Splitter guide. I feel much more confident operating the saw now.

Drew Wiley

Those overpriced *&*%%!! blocks? I just dumped them. Oh well, I'm just a few weeks from being a grumpy old retired tire-kicker myself, albeit way too busy to even kick tires. But I'll still retain my snooty attitude toward table saws. I was selling vastly safer, faster, more accurate Norwegian pull saws over twenty years ago. Now they've apparently gotten too expensive to import. But you should see some of the toys sitting just twenty feet from my desk at the moment. Most of the USA is still basically in the Jurassic era when it comes to woodshop equipment, unless we're talking about expensive manufacturing machines, which are all metric anyway. Well, I hope to use some of my own lesser "metric" shop toys during this Thanksgiving holiday break (five days here). But I'm also looking forward to another walk or two in the rain, and a bit more darkroom time.

who wants to collect the funds to get Drew table saw for Christmas? I've got $5 on it and there's a Harbor Freight right up the road

I understand the joy in conceiving then creating a finely crafted and functional object, wooden or otherwise.

A pinhole camera is a simple project. One attractive aspect of a PH project is how non-photographic objects may be repurposed and adapted for PH photography.

To make a close approach to the finely crafted wood box that is at the heart of the OP, please consider a pretty nice box used to ship cigars from Drew Estate. Their "ACID" brand (an acronym for aa daughters name) are made from ~1/4" mahogany with finger jointed corners. They are plentiful and cheap to get from a cigar store or on e-Bay. The work required to modify one of these boxes into a functional PH camera will lower the learning curve when evaluating tools and techniques and developing wood working skills.

I have used these boxes, pretty much as-is, for gift boxes occaisionally for years. The lables come off leaving a smooth surface. Refinishing can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. At the lower end I just use Acetone and 4-ought steel wool to even out the varnish already on the wood.

Give this a look for starter projects before cutting up expensive craft woods.

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I understand the joy in conceiving then creating a finely crafted and functional object, wooden or otherwise.

A pinhole camera is a simple project. One attractive aspect of a PH project is how non-photographic objects may be repurposed and adapted for PH photography.

To make a close approach to the finely crafted wood box that is at the heart of the OP, please consider a pretty nice box used to ship cigars from Drew Estate. Their "ACID" brand (an acronym for aa daughters name) are made from ~1/4" mahogany with finger jointed corners. They are plentiful and cheap to get from a cigar store or on e-Bay. The work required to modify one of these boxes into a functional PH camera will lower the learning curve when evaluating tools and techniques and developing wood working skills.

I have used these boxes, pretty much as-is, for gift boxes occaisionally for years. The lables come off leaving a smooth surface. Refinishing can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. At the lower end I just use Acetone and 4-ought steel wool to even out the varnish already on the wood.

Give this a look for starter projects before cutting up expensive craft woods.

Cheers
    Indeed, that "Cuban" mahogany looks great, and finely crafted. Many thanks for the tip (although a bit too much shipping costs for Europe)

My Flickr

I'm thinking the chances of surviving a fall into a micro table saw are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Indeed, that "Cuban" mahogany looks great, and finely crafted. Many thanks for the tip (although a bit too much shipping costs for Europe)
    I think they come from Central America (could be wrong).

I have found them quit inexpensively at a tobacco shop or cigar store. When the boxes areempty they give them away or sell them (here) for under $5USD. I would look for the "ACID" brand at high-end cigar stores near you.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!