Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

I want to construct several LF and ULF pinhole cameras. Design is simple and I will be using thin plywood (available in hobby stores). Need a precise Micro table saw for cutting the sheets. Can anyone recommend a Micro table saw to purchase?

thanks

Re: Micro table saw for making pinhole cameras.

We have some of the micro table saws at work (I forget which brand), and they are cute, but really have a limited use outside of small flat pieces that can also be cut on a larger bench table saw, miter saw, miter box + hand saw, etc...

There's more than one way to skin a cat!!!

Steve K

multiplex

i have a table for a dremel
    they sell them on amazon
    and they work well

I made the mistake of going down the Dremel route, the actual drill part is fine but the build quality of the accessories is very poor the drill stand is almost useless, as is the router.

A friend makes banjos and did some research before buying tools and ended up with Proxxon tools, he'd been warned about the Dremel quality, they make a micro bench saw. The build quality is superb.

Ian

multiplex

sorry to hear that ian. i've never had trouble with mine. my only beef is it makes an awful lot of dust.

Ummm . . .How small do you need to get? Despite a strong desire, I have never had the space or resources to do much wood work myself, but still have an interest. I see finely crafted little boxes at the Rocklear and Woodcrafter stores. People are doing high quality small work in wood . . .somehow. I would look into these retail outlets for some guidance, as they have classes and there are local area user-group type associations in some places.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have no experience with micro table saws, but doubt that they would be significantly better than any well-made table saw with the right accessories. ULF camera making may demand a larger saw. Some accessories can readily be made, such as sleds for precise right angle and 45 degree cuts, finger joint guides, etc. A sharp fine-tooth blade is important.

look at micromark.com - they have at least one table saw among their 100's of tools.

(Shrek)

I saw the prices on the Proxxon table saw, actually went to look at one in a store, then I converted an old router table by attaching a 4" circular saw underneath. Works fine, might not be quite as precise as the Proxxon but I get good results and it has a much stronger motor. I do own a Proxxon jigsaw, it's a finely crafted tool but their prices are insane.

Drew Wiley

Guess if you're into toy trains etc you'll use some kind of minature saw. Otherwise, just sandwich thin or delicate ply between thicker sheets when you cut it on
    a conventional saw. Of course, there are far better, "none of the above" ways to do it if you have actual production in mind and not just a personal experiment.