Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

Re: San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

I think YARTS is running buses from Merced to Yosemite Valley during the winter. That's one more option for ya. No YARTS from Fresno this winter though.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks for all the additional suggestions! Gotta sit down and plot some routes and such.

Just got in my new bag for this, a Lowepro ProTactic 450aw....
    Sweet set-up! I've never done much 35mm, so that would not be in my pack...tho thumbs up on the Rolleicord!

I have a dedicated pack for my 4x5 (occasionally doubles for 5x7)...and older LowePro Photo Trekker. While actively looking for images it is nice to carry the smaller LF cameras on the tripod, with the holders and meter in a shoulder bag (especially if backpacking and one does not want the weight of an extra pack), but once the light is gone, or the rain/wind starts, it is nice to put it all away in a pack and walk back to car, camp or shelter. The older Lowepros such as I have held up nicely for student use (each held a 4x5 wood camera, one lens, 4 holders, meter, darkcloth) - and anything that can take student use is well made!

I occasionally toss the Rolleicord into the 8x10 pack -- hardly notice the difference in weight. A lot of weight is a lot of weight...no difference!

Perhaps the older Photo Trekker were thinner -- I remember having to lay the 4x5 cameras down, relative to your set-up. But I may have added extra padding for student-proofing. You have a great set-up there for your trip! Narrowing down the 4x5 lenses to a couple would be tough choice. A shorter focal length for working in tight city/park places...and something slightly on the long side (180 to 210) for everything else? Or bring them all?! Enjoy!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I think YARTS is running buses from Merced to Yosemite Valley during the winter. That's one more option for ya. No YARTS from Fresno this winter though.
    Thanks, I'll look into this! So many acronyms...

Vaughn, yep I usually carry the 4x5 on the tripod when shooting out while hiking. I generally don't leave a "hole" in the pack to put it in, but definitely want to this time for the typical reasons, like rain. I do wish this pack was maybe 1/4" taller. The Chamonix kind of pushes into the top of the pack. Putting it flat wastes a lot of space. Anyway, I might cull the lenses - I had 58/90/150/300 in there. Hard choices...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

When I was photographing for 6 months in NZ with the 4x5, I walked around with the camera always in the pack -- just did not want to risk damaging the camera/lens so far from home!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Winter is back in the high country: https://www.nps.gov/customcf/webcam/...B1E555BD33D841

Thomas

Thanks again for all these wonderful suggestions!

As they say about best-laid plans...my schedule just got turned upside-down on this job and so looks like I might actually be in Vegas a week, maybe not. Still trying to figure things out, but the job ($$$) comes first so gotta do what I gotta do, and I might also be doing a second job in Arizona so yeah. Gotta pay the bills. I am definitely going to go to SF sometime soon - my wife and I were talking about honeymoons (we skipped that due to time/money) so there's that possibility!

Drew Wiley

Don't worry about being stuck in Vegas this time of year. Yeah, it's a disgusting town; but Red Rocks, Valley of Fire, Mt Charleston, etc. is just a short drive. Even
    Zion Park is not far.

Les

Agree with Drew. You could (potentially) have some snow at Zion. Just looked up Mt Charleston and there is snow, tho the roads appear to be clear http://mtcharlestonweather.com/webcam/

Ha, that was my escape (a go to spot) when I was at Nellis AFB. The heat would rage in town and it was v. comfy up there among the pines. Sure, it's no Yos, but you could find something to photograph. I could easily spend 2-3 days at V. of Fire, especially if I was to do any night stuff....good camping too. The colors may appear v. saturated....it's that kind of a place.

Since the culture is pretty much on a serious diet there (LV) IMO, I always found other places of interest.

Les

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Winter in Nevada can be scenic:

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...3936_large.jpg

Thomas

Never been to Nevada, much less Vegas, so should be fun. Had to nix LF due to space and other constraints so my backup is just the Pentax 67 and a few lenses. I'll get by . Sucks that 80% of the gear I have room for is digital stuff for work.

Going to be playing it by ear mostly as right now looks like I'll be driving a lot between 3 states. Definitely some good general suggestions though in the thread for anyone looking at a SF trip!