Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide angles on 5x12

Wide angles on 5x12

I have ordered a 5x12 camera. Will my 159 mm f/9.5 Wollensak and 210 mm G-Claron will cover this format?

Wide angles on 5x12

Diane,

The image diagonal for 5x12 is only ever so slightly bigger than that for 8x10 (about 322mm vs. about 316mm - the exact image size will very by a few millimeters depending on your film holders). So, basically, any lens that covers 8x10 covers 5x12. That includes your 159mm Wolly, G Claron and your beautiful new 240mm Germinar W.

Congrats on your new camera. Did you get the Shen-Hao. If you did, let us know how you like it. I'm shooting 4x10 myself with a camera I cobbled togther with bits from a Lotus and an ARCA-SWISS. I love these mini-banquet formats. The cameras and holders are still quite manageable, and lenses are a lot smaller, cheaper and easier to find than those capable of covering 7x17 or 8x20.

Kerry

Wide angles on 5x12

Hi Kerry,
    No, I've ordered a Canham (and there is a bit of a wait for it). I didn't know about the Shen-Hao one until yesterday. Thanks for your response.

Wide angles on 5x12

I belive that both lenses will cover the format, but you won't have much room for movement. A 240mm G-Claron would cover much better and give you several inches of movement.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Wide angles on 5x12

I have a 240 G-Claron too, which I'm using on my 8x10 along with the others.

Wide angles on 5x12

Oops, I incorrectly assumed you had an f12.5 Wolly (like I). I believe it covers a bit more than your f9.5 version - which should still cover 5x12, but probably won't allow much room for movements.

Wow! A 5x12 Canham! How cool is that (now I'm jealous). Where are you getting your holders, S&S, AWB???

As much as I like 4x10, I gotta admit that 5x12 "looks" a LOT bigger in spite of the numbers only being marginally larger in the x and y dimensions. I plan to scan and elnlarge my 4x10 transparencies. 5x12 is big enough for some nice size contact prints.

Kerry

Wide angles on 5x12

LOL! I think it's very cool.

I haven't made the decision yet as to where I'm going to get the holders. Both places seem to be pretty close in price according to the information I've received. I agree that the 5x12 images look a lot bigger than 4x10. All my LF work at this time is contact prints.

Wide angles on 5x12

And speaking of 5X12, I want to put in a plug for Tillman Crane's beautiful book Touchstones, which was featured in the March/April edition of View Camera. Tillman is an outstanding photographer and this is truly a beautiful book of photographs. All of the photographs in Touchstones were made with a 5X12" camera.

For more information see http://www.tillmancrane.com.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Wide angles on 5x12

Hi Diane!

I can post you some negs shot with these lenses on 5x12, then you can make up your own mind if they will work for you. Both lenses cover ok but neither are sharp enough to the edges for a 3-5 times enlargement which is what I do with them. They may however be good enough for contact prints.

I've also tried a 120 Super Angulon, the late multicoated version. It too throws light into the corners but falloff is severe without a centre filter. I tried +1 and +2 stops and the +2 stop exposure filled in the corners nicely. Overall sharpness is superior to the 2 lenses above.

For film holders I can recommend S&S, extremely well made and great after sales service.

cheers

Clayton

Wide angles on 5x12

You might also look for a 210mm Computar or Apo-Kyvytar. Both of these lenses would cover 5X12 with lots and lots of movement, and they are very tiny things. I have a 210mm Computar and it actually covers (just) 7X17, so you can just imagine what it would do for you on 5X12.