Thread: Fitting a release cable on an old Copal 0 in a recessed board

Fitting a release cable on an old Copal 0 in a recessed board

I have a brand-new Copal 0 shutter that I purchased here a while back. Plugged the cells of a 47mm SA XL into it. I should have checked before, but it does not have the anchor or mount points where one would normally plug the shutter release cable into. It only has a flat port cut directly into the side of the shutter. Because the 47mm SA XL requires a recessed board, the cable cannot be inserted into this side port. I have a Gepe L-hook that doesn't quite fit in the 110mm Toyo/Canham/etc. recessed board I have. I also have a Linhof recessed board, but it doesn't look like the extra bits and pieces needed to make it work will combine properly with this older model of shutter. Has anyone used a shutter like this before? Any suggestions? I've looked around and can't find any significantly smaller L-hooks. I don't want to get rid of the shutter because it is so crisp and perfect.

Here are some pictures: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	157365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	157364

Dave Karp

Re: Fitting a release cable on an old Copal 0 in a recessed board

I use these on all my shutters. http://www.samys.com/p/Camera-Cable-...0utRoCzVrw_wcB

They make it easier to insert the cable release. I don't use recessed boards any more because my ARCA Swiss can use wide angle lenses on a flat board. They might still work for you, unless the bend is too tight, causing it to bind.

B&H sells them too. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=

Sorry, I realise now that my original post was perhaps a bit vaguely worded. My issue is that there is not enough room between this flat port on the shutter and the edges of the recess on the board. Its shutter port orientation, unlike later Copal shutters with that wonderful lateral mount for the shutter releases, means that I can't fit an L-hook adapter or a more flexible release in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	157454

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	157455

Rotate the shutter.

If it uses the anti-rotation screw on the back (as it should), file another notch on the board to locate it.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

It looks like you have a Copal Press for Wista shutter. A few things to keep in mind:

Cable releases for Wista shutters need a throw of 15~16mm. The Dot Line cable extension that David linked to looks almost the same as the Gepe WA Cable Release Extension 603007 I have. This extension has a throw of 10mm, which is not enough to trip this particular shutter.

Orient the shutter so that the cable release socket faces the corner of the lens board. If the clearance is at least 36mm, one of the angled or flexible extensions I have listed for sale may possibly help. I have tested these extensions, and all of them have enough throw to trip the Wista shutters.

Alternatively, you can use sandpaper to increase the clearance at the corner.

Kumar

Leigh: I slapped the lens in the board rather lazily, just to give you guys an idea. I realize it's not quite clearly aligned with the corner.

Kumar, I'll take a measurement later today.

Thanks for the help, guys!