Thread: What sort of rabbit hole am I looking at? (Heidelberg Drum Scanner)

What sort of rabbit hole am I looking at? (Heidelberg Drum Scanner)

I've been wet scanning on a V700 for a few years now, and keep having this little dream of coming across and older drum scanner for a song and updating to it. Much to my surprise, that dream became real this week when I got a line on picking up a Heidelberg Primescan D7100 at an absolutely unbeatable price.

Aside from moving logistics of this monster, there are a few other concerns I have about this unit I want to think about before pulling trigger.

1) As it stands the mounting station is AWOL. Trying to make contact with the person who was known to have it last to see if it is still available. If not, replacements don't seem to be abundant or cheap. Though I could be completely wrong on this, and am not considering the cost of a station as deal breaker. Until one could be tracked down, is it even possible to mount a drum without one at the expense of it being a pain in the ass? This forum seems to have some DIY solutions though that don't seem to insane to put together.

2) I'm not sure that it comes with a computer to interface with either. But I have enough experience building PCs and parts laying around that putting together something to run this shouldn't be a big deal. However, if the software install disk and any relative license keys aren't located, then what are my options? The Silverfast software for it is not what I'd call inexpensive. VueScan doesn't seem to have this model listed as a supported device. Is there anything more affordable that can be had, even if limited to a more ancient OS?

3) This thing isn't going to break through my floor if I move it into my upstairs studio right?

Re: What sort of rabbit hole am I looking at? (Heidelberg Drum Scanner)

Contact Karl Hudson. He knows a ton about those scanners.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I bought a couple of Scanmate 5000s a few years back, so might be able to offer some perspective.

At this point in time I would expect any drum scanner without an associated PC, cards, cables and software is going to be basically worthless - partly because of the hassle of getting it going, partly because it means it can't be demonstrated to be working. A missing mounting station only compounds things value-wise.

Not seen the Heidelberg drums close up, but for mine it wouldn't have been hard to make a serviceable mounting station from mdf/ply, perspex and threaded bar and a replacement silicone roller for a copier. I bought some bits and drew a sketch but ended up being able to buy one. Bear in mind you only really need one for wet mounting. Dry mounting - just tape the film direct to the drum - is easy enough with the drum stood on a desk. It won't give you the ultimate scan but it will still be very good and a massive upgrade on the Epson. Wet gets you slightly better sharpness, less dust and is much more efficient when scanning lots of sheets/ strips at a time.

Getting mine up and running wasn't too hard - bought a SCSI card and cables off ebay and set up a Windows XP install as a dual boot on my existing PC. XP has native SCSI support which made life much easier. The other option was an old mac which seemed like harder work.

No idea how you'd get a Heidelberg upstairs. A concrete floor would be ideal I think.

As above, I think Karl Hudson still services them and should be able to advise on availability of software and spares. Tim Parkin is a member here and recently upgraded from a Howtek to a Heidelberg, so may be able to help.

PS the other place to ask might be high end scanner group on yahoo: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ScanHi-End/info

PPS Some info on software at least on Tim's site here: http://www.drumscanning.co.uk/about/...drum-scanners/

Hello,

As a person whom owns and operates a Heidelberg Primescan, day in day out I would offer up this advice.

It's one hell of a rabbit hole!
    Without seeing it working and without a station you've got an expensive journey. Nearly every part of the machine can be purchased from Karl Hudson. And it would almost certainly require a service before you can be sure it's up to mass scanning. But at the right price it might be worth picking up. The software / computer is the least of your concerns really.

That said, if you've got a tone of film I personally feel there is no better scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
    Hello,

As a person whom owns and operates a Heidelberg Primescan, day in day out I would offer up this advice.

It's one hell of a rabbit hole!
    Without seeing it working and without a station you've got an expensive journey. Nearly every part of the machine can be purchased from Karl Hudson. And it would almost certainly require a service before you can be sure it's up to mass scanning. But at the right price it might be worth picking up. The software / computer is the least of your concerns really.

That said, if you've got a tone of film I personally feel there is no better scanner.
    Well, the price I was offered was in the range of "Get it out of here and it is yours", so considerable savings up front. Still waiting to hear back about what all is or isn't included though.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Praslowicz View Post
    I've been wet scanning on a V700 for a few years now, and keep having this little dream of coming across and older drum scanner for a song and updating to it. Much to my surprise, that dream became real this week when I got a line on picking up a Heidelberg Primescan D7100 at an absolutely unbeatable price.
    How much are they paying you to move it for them? That's not a typo.

1) ...is it even possible to mount a drum without one at the expense of it being a pain in the ass?
    Really, it's not. Without being able to mount outside the machine on a light table, you're just guessing. You'll pay the price in bubbles and other artifacts. It will frustrate the life out of you. Do not go there. Do not.

You're going there, aren't you? At least you were warned.

2) I'm not sure that it comes with a computer to interface with either. But I have enough experience building PCs and parts laying around that putting together something to run this shouldn't be a big deal.
    You've got to be joking. It's a very big deal indeed. It's not like you can just hit up Amazon or NewEgg for parts -- the parts haven't been made in 20 years. Nearly all the "new old stock" have been swept up and landfilled. As has most of the documentation.

However, if the software install disk and any relative license keys aren't located, then what are my options?
    Walk away. Seriously. If you can't run it, it's not a scanner. It's just a big box of parts.

The Silverfast software for it is not what I'd call inexpensive. VueScan doesn't seem to have this model listed as a supported device. Is there anything more affordable that can be had, even if limited to a more ancient OS?
    Nope.

3) This thing isn't going to break through my floor if I move it into my upstairs studio right?
    It might. What does it weigh? How big are the pads it sits on? How are you going to level it? Most importantly, how are you going to lift it?

Bruce Watson

Sorry, but that last asnwer is way too pessimistic in my eyes.

I own a Primescan myself and I love it. It stands in the 2nd floor and that is no problem but let me tell you some things you should know:

- If you can be shure it is a working unit: go for it. As I understand it you will get it for free. If you have it at your home contact Karl Hudson. He will do a service and he will install Newcolour and then you have a perfectly working scanner. His Service is defenetly affordable and it is worth it.
    - Donīt transport it without the right transport securing procedure. You donīt need software to secure the scanner for transport. Ask Karl or me how to do it. If it is secured properly you may lay it down to do the transport. But: you will need some helping friends that had a good breakfast ;-)
    - The scanner weighs 250kg. It is not easy to grab it or to carrie it. But with some strong guys and a very good pushcart (donīt know if this is the right word) you will get it everywhere you want. Karl will help with that too if you speak with him.
    - Buy an old Mac on Ebay that has a SCSI card. It costs arround 80 bucks for an G4 Mac. Mac OS 10.2.8 is recommended. Not higher. You can use an Mac G3 with OS 9.x also with Linocolor software. I connected my G4 to my network and transfer the files to my imac to do the postprocessing and everything else. It works and it is very easy. Plug and play. And these old macs are very durable and stable machines. Much better than I thought they would be.
    - My scanner stands in the 2nd floor. No problem with that. BUT I would not do that with old, wooden floors. You should not select a room that is getting hot in the summer.
    - Mounting station: well...it is possible to build one of course. But the drums for the Primescan are well uild and heavy so you will have to do a good job. Try to find something on ebay or in the scanner group or ask Karl.

Feel free to ask anything you like,

Sebastian