Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beseler Enlarger Differences: M, MX, MXT

Beseler Enlarger Differences: M, MX, MXT

What are the differences in the chassis (only) between Beseler enlarger models "M", "MX", and "MXT"?

Please assume that the chassis is black.

I'm asking because I've adapted a Beseler 45s to my Zone VI enlarger, and I may need a backup chassis sometime.

Re: Beseler Enlarger Differences: M, MX, MXT

Hi Neil,

The older Beseler M chassis has the support rods in front of the main geared channel frame. It also lacks the full-length frame rails for the baseboard; the two-piece baseboard itself rests on the support surface.

The MX is a sturdier chassis with support rods behind the main chassis frame and full-length channel rails for the two-piece baseboard. These bottom rails support the enlarger and the front piece of the baseboard slides in and out easily after the screws are removed.

I believe the T designation stands for "Tall" and therefore the MXT is taller, allowing a greater degree of enlargement.

FWIW, here's the Beseler code from a 1958 brochure:

45: accepts negatives up to 4" x5" (from 8mm)
    M-Motor: automatic electric motor raises and lowers lamphouse
    C-Colorhead: Bescolor Colorhead accepts color filter material between condensers
    R-Resistrol: Resistrol unit varies voltage entering enlarger lamp - up to maximum line voltage
    X-Rear Support Truss: Extra reinforcement rear baseboard extension
    AF-Automatic Focusing
    B-Beslite: Lamphouse with cold cathode grid light source instead of condensers
    AG-Beseler-Agfa Colorhead

The "T" designation is obviously later than this brochure.

Below is the illustration of the M and MX chassis from the same brochure.

Best,

Doremus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BeselerM-MX.jpg  

I thought the 'T' designation was for models equipped to take the lens turret - hence that arc of metal just above the inside of the lens mount. That would make all 'T' also 'MX'. I'm basing this off of an MXT manual, and comparison of my M (front bracing, grey), and MXT. The columns do have some differences, though a major height difference does not seem to be one of them.

The 45M works fine, but those forward mounted support rods can interfere with large easels.

I think that 45M works. For example, I could remove the front support rods and add ample support from behind the enlarger.

Thanks much for the information.

The later models are so cheap on craigslist these days, often seen for $100 to $150 I'm not sure adapting one is worth it. But you might!

I wonder what the story on the "H" model 4X5 enlargers is? Can't figure out what the H would stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    I thought the 'T' designation was for models equipped to take the lens turret - hence that arc of metal just above the inside of the lens mount. That would make all 'T' also 'MX'. I'm basing this off of an MXT manual, and comparison of my M (front bracing, grey), and MXT. The columns do have some differences, though a major height difference does not seem to be one of them.
    Graham,

That makes perfect sense. I was speculating about the "T" designation in my earlier post. If there is a different lens mount to accommodate the turret, then that explains the "T". I would imagine then, that all newer enlargers in that series would be "MXT"s.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    I wonder what the story on the "H" model 4X5 enlargers is? Can't figure out what the H would stand for.
    "H" stands for hand - this model has no motor and must be raised and lowered , manually. In addition, the base is the same as the "23", not the other 4x5's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    "H" stands for hand - this model has no motor and must be raised and lowered , manually. In addition, the base is the same as the "23", not the other 4x5's.
    Okay, that would make sense. Then it stands to reason that it would use the same elevating crank and gears as a 23C.