Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    480

    Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    I have a Sinar Sinaron WS 210mm f/5.6 lens in Copal 3 shutter made by Rodenstock. The multicoated lens covers 80 degrees and takes 105mm filters. There are no stripes on the front cell.

    It's either a Sironar, an APO-Sironar or an APO-Sironar-W.

    Can anyone clue me in to what I have?

    Thanks.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

    www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,357

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    Since it does not have a stripe it is the Apo Sironar. If it had a stripe then it would be the Apo Sironar W. They are the same lens just that the one without the stripe is older. When the Apo Sironar S was introduced Rodenstock began using the stripes to differentiate between the different lens series.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    480

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    Thanks Bob. I was hoping you would chime in.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

    www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

  4. #4
    8x10, 5x7, 4x5, et al Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    5,438

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Since it does not have a stripe it is the Apo Sironar. If it had a stripe then it would be the Apo Sironar W.
    True but not exclusively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    I have a Sinar Sinaron WS 210mm f/5.6 lens in Copal 3 shutter [that] takes 105mm filters.
    There were APO-Sironar W lenses released without the stripe and without the W being engraved on the lens barrel.

    I found references to it online when I was compiling my lens database.
    That lens is the only 210/5.6 in my database that uses a 105mm filter. I own one of those lenses.

    It's listed in my database as an APO-Sironar (W) since the W was not engraved.
    I've not seen any reference to an APO-Sironar WS. That might indicate "Wide for Sinar".

    The 105/5.6 APO with the W properly engraved is a different lens, taking a 100mm filter.

    - Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,357

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    True but not exclusively.


    There were APO-Sironar W lenses released without the stripe and without the W being engraved on the lens barrel.

    I found references to it online when I was compiling my lens database.
    That lens is the only 210/5.6 in my database that uses a 105mm filter. I own one of those lenses.

    It's listed in my database as an APO-Sironar (W) since the W was not engraved.
    I've not seen any reference to an APO-Sironar WS. That might indicate "Wide for Sinar".

    The 105/5.6 APO with the W properly engraved is a different lens, taking a 100mm filter.

    - Leigh
    Leigh, you are complicating things.
    When Rodenstock introduced the Apo Sironar it had no stripe. Neither did any of the other Rodenstock lenses.
    When Rodenstock introduced the Apo Sironar S line it then started to add a stripe to each lens barrel, depending on the series. And, at that time they also changed the name of the Apo Sironar to conform to the other Sironar lenses and added the S. The last lenses to have the stripe added were the Apo Ronars which were a slower sale. Once existing factory stocks of the Apo Ronar were sold a stripe was added to the newer productions.

    Obviously there were stocks on Apo Sironar N and Apo Sironar lenses in distributor and dealer inventories that had not been sold by the time the stripes were added, same with Grandagon N lenses. So while at the start of the stripes some lenses were still being sold as current models without the stripes until thos inventories were sold.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    421

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    I have the same lens without the yellow stripe, this is an older version but in same lens construction.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,357

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    True but not exclusively.


    There were APO-Sironar W lenses released without the stripe and without the W being engraved on the lens barrel.

    I found references to it online when I was compiling my lens database.
    That lens is the only 210/5.6 in my database that uses a 105mm filter. I own one of those lenses.

    It's listed in my database as an APO-Sironar (W) since the W was not engraved.
    I've not seen any reference to an APO-Sironar WS. That might indicate "Wide for Sinar".

    The 105/5.6 APO with the W properly engraved is a different lens, taking a 100mm filter.

    - Leigh
    Leigh, there were only 3 lenses in the Apo Sironar/Apo Sironar W series: the 150, the 210 and the 300mm. There was never a 105mm.

  8. #8
    8x10, 5x7, 4x5, et al Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    5,438

    Re: Which Rodenstock Lens is my Sinaron WS 210/5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Leigh, there were only 3 lenses in the Apo Sironar/Apo Sironar W series: the 150, the 210 and the 300mm. There was never a 105mm.
    That reference to a 105mm APO was a brain-fade, occasioned by the discussion of filter sizes.

    The sentence should read:
    The 210/5.6 APO with the W properly engraved is a different lens, taking a 100mm filter.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    I have the same 210mm APO that Jesse showed just before my post, lacking the colored stripe.

    - Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •