Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Loupe?

Framing Loupe?

I'm new to LF and I have been watching some videos were the photographer adjusts a loupe for what lens they will be using and look through it to figure out their composition. Does anyone know what this is and where to buy one? I appreciate it. Thanks...

Re: Framing Loupe?

Gaoersi zoom viewfinder for 4x5 on auction site. I do not have one but I saw a fellow LFer used one. It is nice to have it.

Linhof is another good source.

This might be a stupid question, but it sounds like there must be different ones for different sizes? I'm shooting 8x10. Thanks.

MkII Artist's Viewfinder on iOS/Android. Just bought it tonight after some frustration today. I set it up with combinations for all my cameras, film backs, and lenses so it can act as a viewfinder for any of them, including some of the weird custom film formats I use.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    MkII Artist's Viewfinder on iOS/Android. Just bought it tonight after some frustration today. I set it up with combinations for all my cameras, film backs, and lenses so it can act as a viewfinder for any of them, including some of the weird custom film formats I use.
    I was looking at that app. You think it's worth it? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by macmaster77 View Post
    I was looking at that app. You think it's worth it? Thanks...
    It's damned annoying that it's $25 since most iOS apps (many that do way more than this) are so much cheaper. On the other hand, it's going to save me more than $25 of frustration. For instance, today I was hanging off the side of a cliff with my back up against a tree trying to figure out if another tree's roots that were flowing down the side of the cliff in front of me would fit in the field of view of my widest lens. What did I have to do? Have my friend pass me down pieces of camera one by one until I could hold it in front of my face and check the framing. Now, I can just pull my phone out and confirm it'll work before I risk the camera. Not to mention how much help it's going to be for figuring out weird things like what'll fit into a 68x35mm negative.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    It's damned annoying that it's $25 since most iOS apps (many that do way more than this) are so much cheaper. On the other hand, it's going to save me more than $25 of frustration. For instance, today I was hanging off the side of a cliff with my back up against a tree trying to figure out if another tree's roots that were flowing down the side of the cliff in front of me would fit in the field of view of my widest lens. What did I have to do? Have my friend pass me down pieces of camera one by one until I could hold it in front of my face and check the framing. Now, I can just pull my phone out and confirm it'll work before I risk the camera. Not to mention how much help it's going to be for figuring out weird things like what'll fit into a 68x35mm negative.
    This sounds like it's worth $25. I have seen other LF photographers use this. I was also looking at a zoom viewfinder. I appreciate your input and will check it out. Thanks...

Long before the proliferation of digital gadgets, artists and photographers were using simple viewfinder frames to explore compsition without setting up their easel or camera. The viewfinder consists of a window proportioned like the artist's canvas or film. This can be formed of wire or cut into cardboard. A string attached to the frame is knotted at distances from the frame proportional to the focal length in the photographer's arsenal of lenses. If the frame is the same size as the film, the knot distances should equal the lens focal length. For smaller films, a larger window may feel better. The eye should be placed close to the intended position of the lens if there are nearby objects in the view. In Williaty's situation, using a digital viewfinder may have been more convenient than the traditional artist's viewfinder.

"The Ground Glass is truth."

Steve Simmons

If it is not on the GG it will not be on the negative.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!