Thread: Tailboard Camera with Dallmeyer lens and large Petzval lens anyone ID the maker

Tailboard Camera with Dallmeyer lens and large Petzval lens anyone ID the maker

Greetings to all, I am new to LF and I am researching a rescent find, if anyone out there would be kind enough to respond I would be very greatful. while on holiday in France this year I picked up a large format tailboard camera with red bellows, no makers name other than only part of a blue and white paper label below the lens. it had a JH Dallmeyer Petzval lens fitted serial number 11219, which had been adapted to fit as its wooden mounting board had been altered. it came with what I would consider is an extremely large Petzval un named lens. any information on identifying any of the items shown would be much appriciated, plus the manufacturing date of the 11219 lens would be good. The overall length of camera with lens attached is then 34 inches, it came with 3 tambour double plate cases. the way the cases are stored makes me think its a travelling camera. I hope the images have been up loaded ok.
    All the best Tim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160928_145004.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	156851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160917-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	156852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160917_094803.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	156853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160917_094834.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	156854

Re: Tailboard Camera with Dallmeyer lens and large Petzval lens anyone ID the maker

We "deal with" cameras and lenses in two separate sections!

The camera is an early chambre de voyages/reisekamera. Later ones usually had brass L brackets in front and the space for plate holders is not found on the mass produced cameras of the 1890 - 1914 era. Measure the ground glass at the back. Tambour and slide in holders suggest it is French.

Best to post new/better photos of the two lenses in the lens thread - but:

- the dallmeyer could be a non petzval, as this size would not cover the format of this camera. There is a Dallmeyer archive site, but entry is best when you have identified the lens series.

- I think the big (Perhaps huge) PEtzval is french due to the double finished wheel and early because of the thin steel turning aksel. Likely before 1857 as the Waterhouse cut-out is in a position that no maker would have choosen! I have two names, but please post new photos in the lens thread. I think you may be able to see pencil/ink names written on the concealed edges of lenses.

Re: Tailboard Camera with Dallmeyer lens and large Petzval lens anyone ID the maker

Hi Steven, thank you so much for your responce, I know litrally nothing about early cameras, I collect alsorts and just liked these, I am sorry about the images being un clear I will do as you suggest and list better images under different forums shortly. Thank you again.
    All the best
    Tim

Dallmeyer 11219 is in the Dallmeyer archive as a Petzval 2B (non-patent version). It is listed on the second page -middle right- on this link.

http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/R...ettings/2B.pdf

You might want to check carefully around the brass cut-out in the sleeve, as this where the engraving would have been on most lenses of this date. The are sometimes a few identifying letters left!