Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint for darkroom sink

Paint for darkroom sink

Update on my darkroom sink: Topic was part of a thread I started earlier this year. Sink and base were constructed from 3/4" exterior plywood. Inside of sink was painted with 6 coats of Rust-oleum Restore 4X Deck Coat paint over Rust-oleum's proprietary primer. Paint is so thick that no need to caulk corners. After months and months of constant use I can 100% recommend this paint. Sink still looks like it did after I applied the last coat of Rust-oleum Restore 4X Deck Coat paint. The buildup of the 6 coats of the paint produced a very mildly flexible surface... several times my glass graduated cylinders have accidentally tipped over but never have they broke. I like to create Chemigrams using a vast array of sometimes caustic chemicals.... none of them has stained the gray paint to my surprise. Silver Nitrite (Salt prints) has stained my hands several times but has had no effect on the paint.

Re: Paint for darkroom sink

Some of the modern low VOC outdoor paints can hold up well to standard processing chems... I have some finished 10 or so years ago, and still look great, just rinse well after use, and don't abrade the finish...

Steve K

I would love to see some pics of the sink! I am finishing up a new sink build and will be ready to paint very soon. I had been looking at the West Systems and S-W Tile Clad epoxies but its always nice to have options, especially cheaper ones. I am also curious about your coverage, how much does 1 gallon cover?

Drew Wiley

The West or Smith penetrating epoxy systems would definitely be superior to paint, but also distinctly unhealthier to apply. Alas, my next sink project involves a
    slab of green granite, so there goes some more of my long-awaited darkroom time down the drain!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The West or Smith penetrating epoxy system
    I wholeheartedly agree, this stuff can stand up to a brutal salt-water ocean environment.

Use boat paint. Not bottom but top paint. This is what i used about 4 years ago and still like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebbiebear View Post
    I would love to see some pics of the sink! I am finishing up a new sink build and will be ready to paint very soon. I had been looking at the West Systems and S-W Tile Clad epoxies but its always nice to have options, especially cheaper ones. I am also curious about your coverage, how much does 1 gallon cover?
    Couldn't get back any farther so 2 images
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sink1.jpg   sink2.jpg  

Vince Donovan

Thanks for the tip! I'm planning to repaint my sink, now I know what I'll use.

Very nice greg! Thanks for the pics. I think I might get some of this and give it a go.

Instead of paint why not use the rubber shower pan liner? Comes in varying widths and in rolls you can have cut to length at a Home Depot of similar. Just lay it in the sink, screw in the drain and you have a complete water tight sink without all the painting. My Uncle has built a few (he did mine) and uses the stiff sheets of Owens Corning Foamular under the rubber membrane and it absorbs noise as well as providing a cushion in case something is dropped on it. Watched him make mine and it was done in a few hours and ready for use.