Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paint for darkroom sink

Re: Paint for darkroom sink

Greg:

I have been searching (unsuccessfully, thus far ...) for an OEM sodium vapor replacement bulb for my Thomas Safelight.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly your share your supplier!

Thank you.
    Drewf64

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Another update on the darkroom by the OP.

Probably have repainted my sink a dozen times with Rust-oleum Restore 4X Deck Coat paint. Always looks great and all the layers of paint have given the sink's surface some resiliency. Twice recently have accidentally knocked over a glass graduated cylinder, and both times it did not break.

Permanently installed Durst 1200 with a variable height baseboard that lowers down to the floor. Everything painted black. Power unit and timer on a shelf above the counter. Leaves the counter top completely free and actually easier to use the timer.

Was able to acquire an OEM Thomas sodium vapor safelight replacement bulb. Now don't have to worry if or when the original bulb fails.

Print inspection light over the fixer and wash tray was a Kodak safelight with a 60w bulb. Worked but not all that well, so installed a Graphiclite desk top viewer on a counter in the middle of the room. Now have to carry the wet print in a tray over to the viewer. Minor inconvenience but not enough to matter.

Print drying racks located under the sink: Prints were taking too long to dry because of little air circulation. Installed 2 small "computer" fans behind the racks which circulate the air and make for excellent drying times.

Now have 3 GraLabs above the sink. Acquired one GraLab that only buzzed when the time was up... found it annoying and useless.

Have a stool to sit on when processing film along and a "portable" book holder that attaches to the front of the sink. Much more convenient.

Bought and installed an ARISTA high intensity UV light unit from Freestyle for alternative processes. Love it and can recommend it 100%.

Above the counter where I unload film holders, have a half sheet of 4x5 film with rounded corners hanging from a cord. If I'm having a hard time removing the film from the holder, use it to easily lift up the edge of the film.

Removed the small dark green? Kinderman film inspection light. Eyes getting too old to judge processing by inspection.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by drewf64 View Post
    Greg:

I have been searching (unsuccessfully, thus far ...) for an OEM sodium vapor replacement bulb for my Thomas Safelight.

Thank you.
    Drewf64

I got my spares from the big auction site. Very good price, so I got around 5. Don't imagine I will burn through all of them. Can check but think they were either Phillips, GE, or Osram
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Try, https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com.

IIRC, I have bought a number of enlarger bulbs from them and a correct 30 watt bulb for my Thomas safe light.

They are, in my limited opinion, the best source for bulbs, bar none.

The prices I saw online, (other than replacementlightbulbs) for Thomas bulbs are outrageous, but I did no have the time to sort through the above link for the correct 30w bulb.

I can look for some receipts in my stash of enlarger/safelight bulbs, in the next day or so, and If I find I have sent you to the wrong site, I'll post a correction.

Cheers.
    Last edited by eli; 24-Feb-2020 at 17:15. Reason: correction or error

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Try, https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com.

IIRC, I have bought a number of enlarger bulbs from them and a correct 30 watt bulb for my Thomas safe light.

They are, in my limited opinion, the best source for bulbs, bar none.

The prices I saw online for Thomas bulbs are outrageous, but I did no have the time to sort through the above link for the correct 30w bulb.

I can look for some receipts in my stash of enlarger/safelight bulbs, in the next day or so, and If I find I have sent you to the wrong site, I'll post a correction.

Cheers.
    I believe the Thomas Duplex bulbs are 35 watts, and are what I have in my Thomas safelights. Look for Sox 35. Replacementlighbulbs is where I get my enlarger bulbs (Leitz and Devere) as well, but the auction place has great prices for these bulbs. Just need to scroll past the pricey ones

Greg:

Thank you.
    Drewf64
    State surplus store. In sealed rolled paper labeled DUPLEX LDS Lamp. Almost passed it up until I read in small print "Thomas Instrument Co. Inc." Even then wasn't allowed to unseal the packing paper and inspect what it was till I had purchased it.... No returns but that time I got lucky.

Photo items always go for pennies, but you have to get there when it opens. Most weeks nothing, then some department cleaned out their darkroom and a flood of items all of a sudden appear. Paper and film always an iffy bargain bcause you have no idea how they were stored. Once picked up a couple of unopened boxes of EM glass plates and ended up throwing them all out cause they were severely fogged. Another time boxes of unopened paper that were really outdated but turned out to be fine. You take your chances...

Thank you Fred L, eli, & Greg for your replies ... greatly appreciated!
    Time for me to stock up.
    Drewf64

Quote Originally Posted by robbiemcclaran View Post
    I'm curious about the longevity of using bedliner paint. I've used it on other applications, but never thought of it for a darkroom sink. BTW it also comes in cans for rolling.
    I have been using this same sink for about 15 years now (it replaced another, also of 3/4"plywood, coated with a 2-part epoxy resin from Tap Plastics). This newer sink has held up well exceptionally to my demands, and has even withstood undiluted spills of both H2SO4 and HCL without any obvious damage. It is absolutely impervious to water. PMK stains are evident in the coating, but these do not bother me and may be less obvious or not evident at all in darker-colored coatings. Otherwise, this sink as performed admirably. As I recall it was about $300 to have the Reflex coating sprayed on. I do not know what it would cost for the same service today, but I would not hesitate to use the same material again were I to need another sink, and I recommend this material or the softer Rhino coating as alternatives to marine paints and epoxies. Line-x will work equally well, but it is definitely harder and therefore louder and less kind to dropped or knocked over glass cylinders than Reflex or Rhino.

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I believe the Thomas Duplex bulbs are 35 watts, and are what I have in my Thomas safelights.
    If my memory serves me well, Thomas Instrument offered different wattage bulbs for their sodium-vapor safelights. Mine has the higher wattage bulb in it and if I raise up the filters, the safelight emits too much light to work with. Still safe to use papers with it, but just too bright a darkroom environment for my taste.

Thank you Fred L, eli, & Greg for your replies ... greatly appreciated!
    Time for me to stock up.
    Drewf64
    as well, if you need replacement filters, iirc, Greg listed the Rosco equivalents. I got mine at a film production supply shop. You're going tolove working under the safelights, so much easier on the eyes than red led strips