Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galaxy paper, intro and a return to darkroom

Re: Galaxy paper, intro and a return to darkroom

Thanks!! Everyone loves the fingerprints, they were not intentional. I just went by ISO 120 Sun full sunlight. Metered Incidental light, I've seen people speed test it at 120 on Youtube
    No test exposure. Basically you make a negative on paper. Scan it and Invert in photoshop.

PS: how to I make a signature with my posts ?

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnston View Post
    PS: how do I make a signature with my posts ?
    Click on Settings at the top right corner of the website's header. This takes you to a page that allows you to adjust various forum settings. On the Left is a menu labeled My Settings. Look for and click on the link for Edit Signature. Add your signature and save the changes. That's it, you're done.
    "If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
    UnitasPhotography.com • Meetup.com/my-photo-group • Flickr.com/photos/tat2duck • 500px.com/tat2duck • photoMentoris.com

I loaded up 10 film holders with the Galaxy paper and took 5 of them out for some test shots. I haven't had the chance to develop them yet but will likely do so this weekend.

In other news... I just purchased a Graflex 4x5 on ebay. It should arrive on my door in about a week. I got lucky and found one in pristine condition with a bunch of extras and... get this... a lens cap. When was the last time you saw a Graflex with a lens cap. Original, to boot.
    UnitasPhotography.com • Meetup.com/my-photo-group • Flickr.com/photos/tat2duck • 500px.com/tat2duck • photoMentoris.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chromium01.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	157052

My very first frame made on Galaxy Paper's Direct Positive paper. This was shot using a 127mm f/4.7 Kodak Ektar lens in a Graphic Supermatic shutter. This was metered with an hand held meter based on the manufacturer's recommendation of ISO 120. Shot at 1/125 @ f/5.6.

As you can see, it is very underexposed. Someone else mentioned they metered at ISO 60 with good results and I'll be taking serious consideration on that suggestion the next time. The smudge on the left (actually the right since the image is reversed) is probably my hand tripping the shutter. I don't have a shutter release for this camera and need to look into getting one.

All the other images taken that day had similar issues so I won't bore you with additional bad shots. That said, I had a blast getting back into analog photography this paper process in particular. I can't wait for my graflex to come in to do another run with this paper. At least now I have something to compare against to make my exposure calculations. I expect the next set to be better.

Nice !
    Instagram : instagram.com/cwjohnstonphoto/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CraigJohnstonPhotography/

It's been a busy week for me. My Graflex came in. Talk about a beautiful camera... When I tell you this thing is in pristine condition you'll likely have doubts, considering the age of these cameras. Whoever owned this one, though, definitely took excellent care of it. I'll have to post some photos of it.

In the meantime, here is a copy of the image the seller posted.

Name:	s-l1600[1].jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	157236

A quick search on Graflex.org says this camera is circa 1953.

Name:	15171171_10211272314506151_2665683354770055737_n[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	157883

A better result. Metered at ISO 64 (Weston light meter). I then took a photo of the photo with my Canon 6D so I could mirror it back to it's correct view (and add my branding). This is warmer toned than the actual image. Overall, the paper is rather contrasty under bright daylight. I'll have to see how it performs under cloudy skies.

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post

Name:	15171171_10211272314506151_2665683354770055737_n[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	157883

A better result. Metered at ISO 64 (Weston light meter). I then took a photo of the photo with my Canon 6D so I could mirror it back to it's correct view (and add my branding). This is warmer toned than the actual image. Overall, the paper is rather contrasty under bright daylight. I'll have to see how it performs under cloudy skies.
    Great! It's so exciting when you try a new process and start getting images. How do you like the Stearman tank? I use mine a great deal for reversal processing of black and white negative film. I love how quick and easy the SP-445 is to use.

I'm curious if the Galaxy chemistry would work with *film* as well as paper, making black and white transparencies. If you'd be interested in trying it, PM me and I'll send you some film.

Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    Great! It's so exciting when you try a new process and start getting images. How do you like the Stearman tank? I use mine a great deal for reversal processing of black and white negative film. I love how quick and easy the SP-445 is to use.
    Very exciting. As I mentioned, it's been many years since doing any kind of darkroom work. As for the Stearman tank... I bought it in anticipation of developing the paper prints but I've yet to use it. I find it easier (and way cooler) to develop in trays. Eventually I do plan on getting into film, but not just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    I'm curious if the Galaxy chemistry would work with *film* as well as paper, making black and white transparencies. If you'd be interested in trying it, PM me and I'll send you some film.
    As I understand it, Galaxy Paper is a silver gelatin coated paper whereby the reversal from negative to positive is done chemically. I don't think this processing would work for film. Either way, I am not fluent enough in photo chemistry to start experimenting just yet. Thanks for the offer though.