Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Print sleeves for negatives?

Print sleeves for negatives?

fwiw--I don't think you'll scratch or abrade a negative as easily with a interleaving type--simple fold over--sleeve or a "fold-lock" type sleeve. Even one made out of polypropylene which will cost about a third of what a Dupont archival Polyester (mylar D) sleeve will. Simply because you are inserting the neg into this and folding it shut--no sliding it in & out. the colection at work--we have some old 8x10s that have been stored for a long time in a very simple way. They used those tall Hollinger boxes, and had about 25 or so negs in hollinger folders inside with a blucore type board spacer to keep them upright. Every few years, on a schedule, they switch those boxes out for new ones and get rid of the old ones as they age....

it doesn't get much better than that really for low-paranoia negative storage. Good paper--you can't go wrong...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

FWIW, this just in from Print File:

"Thank you for your interest in the Print File product line. The 810-1HB is made out of polyethylene which is a softer plastic and is slightly milky. The only reason we recommend this plastic for negative storage is becasie it is less likely to scratch the negative due to polyethylene’s soft texture. The 810-2P is a polypropelyne print preserver it is a clearer stiffer plastic. One is not more archival over the other so you can use either one, but polyethylene is more gentle, so it is up to your preference."

Polyethylene vs, polypropylene. Hmmmm... anybody know if shoeboxes are more archival than cigar boxes?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Well hell - now I'm all paranoid about all my negs.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Then we've done our job, Will.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."