Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Review of Linhof Heavy Duty Tripod, comments welcome.

Re: Review of Linhof Heavy Duty Tripod, comments welcome.

Here are a few 90 mm Linhof Heavy duty accessories

Some stack for height, the Video head has OE QR and orbital leveling

I have more, but they repeat.

I chased this all down back in 2012 when nobody wanted it

and nobody wants it now!

Untitled by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I recently scored a Linhof HD Pro tripod with geared center column, and then a Majestic 1200 geared head, BOTH in really nice condition thru eBay - and am really impressed by how sturdy and useable this combination will be with my 4x5 Master Technika and Technikarden 45S cameras. This set-up will be perfect for my planned table-top or still life photography (in my basement), but is probably too heavy for most to consider taking any distance from the car when doing field work. 'Impressive combination...
    I have one of those heads, but mine is on top of the monster Majestic tripod with a right angle arm. I think I could use this tripod to support a car. Nowhere near as elegant as the Linhof, but - stable, VERY stable. Might even be heavier. I think shipping was a little over $100 when I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I have one of those heads, but mine is on top of the monster Majestic tripod with a right angle arm. I think I could use this tripod to support a car. Nowhere near as elegant as the Linhof, but - stable, VERY stable. Might even be heavier. I think shipping was a little over $100 when I got it.
    I imagine the HD Majestic is VERY sturdy and stabile indeed. If I recall correctly, I paid about $40 for shipping of the Linhof HD Pro tripod by UPS Ground to me in Wisconsin (from Pennsylvania). Since I posted that comment earlier in this thread I decided to purchase a Linhof Master Kardan 4x5 GTL studio camera (in place of the Technikardan 45S) with a Linhof tilting tripod head from Laflex to put on top of my HD tripod, and that combo is extremely stable and functional for my table top needs. Other than a HD studio stand, I don’t know what else I could need or want for this type of photography.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

$4,300, huh?! I built my own tripod in one afternoon that cost me $40.- in parts, weights 1.5 pounds and is sturdier than my Gitzo Series 4 Studex.

Wooden_Tripod_1

Nice build

Spikes would be good

but I am not putting my 50 lb camera on it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Nice build

Spikes would be good

but I am not putting my 50 lb camera on it
    It does have spikes, you screw the rubber feet up to expose them.

It can easily support your camera. I sold lots of them to art museums equipped with the Large Geared Center Column and a specially made 18” long LInhof Macro Focus Stage that the museums used with very large and 60 lb IR video cameras that they used to see what was under the paint on very old paintings.
    They chose this combination as they needed a tripod that firstly could secure that weight with no vibration, that when the column was elevated would not have any vertical movement and that when the camera was shifted left to right on the Focus Stage would not have vertical movement.

Very few tripods could do this. Unfortunately very light digital cameras can now do what those IR cameras did and do it under more wave lengths then the video system did.

Bob, I know the Linhof does and I use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It does have spikes, you screw the rubber feet up to expose them.
    Tin Can

Bob, my mistake, I was commenting on this DIY tripod

I have 3 of the Heavy Duty Linhof Tripods, all bought used. One is wood just like the New Vintage!

Price has come down

Linhof Vintage Heavy-Duty Pro Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by giganova View Post
    $4,300, huh?! I built my own tripod in one afternoon that cost me $40.- in parts, weights 1.5 pounds and is sturdier than my Gitzo Series 4 Studex.

Wooden_Tripod_1
    Tin Can

May I ask if anyone has used the Profi III tripod? Any experiences?
    It seems the Heavy Duty Tripod caught the attention and the relatively small profi tripod is not that famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcan View Post
    May I ask if anyone has used the Profi III tripod? Any experiences?
    It seems the Heavy Duty Tripod caught the attention and the relatively small profi tripod is not that famous.
    I used both. The Profi is much newer with more modern features, like a three position cam on top of each leg to set leg angles, fully covered outer legs, etc. it is slightly lighter but just as strong as the HD Pro tripod.