Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOD54 vs. Jobo 2509n minimum developer for 6-sheet inversion processing

Re: MOD54 vs. Jobo 2509n minimum developer for 6-sheet inversion processing

Halford, wow, that's a Paterson 3-reel tank (the PTP116)?

Lowest quantity possible: paterson orbital!

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyggg View Post
    b) how does the above answer change with rotation processing on the Jobo? The website says: "High efficiency; run as few as two sheets of 4X5 with no waste of chemistry." Having a hard time understanding what that means. Isn't the minimum volume for rotary processing 270ml? According to what I've read here, that is the same minimum volume needed for 6 sheets. If so, that means the tank is NOT efficient for 2-sheet processing, since you'd be able to get 4 additional sheets out of the solution if you maxed out the 4x5 reel. What am I missing about their claim that it's a "high efficiency" tank?
    270 ml is indeed the minimum amount of solution you need to use for rotary processing with this tank. It depends a lot on the dilution of your developer how many sheets 4x5 you can do with this volume. With 1+1 XTOL or D76 it would be 6 sheets as the minimum amount for these developers is 150 ml of stock solution for 6 sheets. If you would go down to 1+3 and using 70 ml of stock solution with these developers it would only be 3 sheets.

In both cases it is much more efficient then the 1 L of 1.5 L you would need for inversion with the MOD54 or the Jobo.

If you want to do inversion DONT use the mod45. The mod45 has a vary bad problem of having film sheets come loose ruing not only the sheet the came loose but the sheet next to it in the holder.

The mod45 however is perfect for stand developing however.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I do inversion processing with MOD54, four to six sheets, no problems with sheets moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    If you want to do inversion DONT use the mod45. The mod45 has a vary bad problem of having film sheets come loose ruing not only the sheet the came loose but the sheet next to it in the holder.

My experience,in a nutshell. Terrifying to load, leaves flow marks around the fingers.Many users report it being ok if only 4 sheets loaded. Being ok for stand development says it all,really (re Light Guru's comment). If you consider Replenished XTOL , you have the economy sorted,so you are free to source any other tank system, as you only have to discard/add 70-80 millilitres of stock for each 4x5 sheet.
    I love the Combiplan,but I have the luxury of a proper darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I do inversion processing with MOD54, four to six sheets, no problems with sheets moving.
    Dito. Inversions must be done gently to prevent the sheets from dislodging. But with a little care it works great. I have had no surge marks except when I tried stand development.

Another MOD45 user here. I`d say it is somewhat easy to came loose the film if -extra care- is not taken.
    When the tank is inverted gently, I`m able to perform four inversions in less than 15" without any problem. I do it quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyggg View Post
    Halford, wow, that's a Paterson 3-reel tank (the PTP116)?
    Nope that was a 2-reel tank. The 3-reel really is taller than the Jobo

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    270 ml is indeed the minimum amount of solution you need to use for rotary processing with this tank. It depends a lot on the dilution of your developer how many sheets 4x5 you can do with this volume. With 1+1 XTOL or D76 it would be 6 sheets as the minimum amount for these developers is 150 ml of stock solution for 6 sheets. If you would go down to 1+3 and using 70 ml of stock solution with these developers it would only be 3 sheets.

In both cases it is much more efficient then the 1 L of 1.5 L you would need for inversion with the MOD54 or the Jobo.
    Thanks, Huub, and yeah, that's what has me second guessing inversion processing all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gordon Bilson View Post
    My experience,in a nutshell. Terrifying to load, leaves flow marks around the fingers.Many users report it being ok if only 4 sheets loaded. Being ok for stand development says it all,really (re Light Guru's comment). If you consider Replenished XTOL , you have the economy sorted,so you are free to source any other tank system, as you only have to discard/add 70-80 millilitres of stock for each 4x5 sheet.
    I love the Combiplan,but I have the luxury of a proper darkroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Dito. Inversions must be done gently to prevent the sheets from dislodging. But with a little care it works great. I have had no surge marks except when I tried stand development.
    Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Another MOD45 user here. I`d say it is somewhat easy to came loose the film if -extra care- is not taken.
    When the tank is inverted gently, I`m able to perform four inversions in less than 15" without any problem. I do it quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halford View Post
    Nope that was a 2-reel tank. The 3-reel really is taller than the Jobo
    So many mixed reviews on MOD54 (as well as the Jobo 2509n). Makes me wish I had a proper darkroom so I could tray process my film.
    Just switched from FF digital to LF film. LOTS to learn, hence all the questions! Apologies in advance to all the innocent bystanders :)