Thread: New55 pos/neg instant 4x5 film - chemical processing alternatives

Question New55 pos/neg instant 4x5 film - chemical processing alternatives

Hello LF community
    I am new to your forum and hope to connect with others that are using the New55 pos/neg 4x5 film. I look forward to hearing about your results - technically what works and what doesn't etc...

Today I am curious if anyone has gotten good results using anything other than the recommended Ilford Rapid Fixer. I am leaving for Africa Wednesday with my Crown Graphic and the New55 film - but I am concerned the Ilford Rapid Fix will get confiscated / I won't be able to travel with such a large quantity of chemicals in my checked bag.

Have any of you found a powder alternative that worked for clearing those negs? In particular getting the goo to release from the neg. One idea is to get the Kodak powder fix and add vinegar to up the acid level. I am going to experiment this weekend - so please send any guidance/ suggestions my way.

And / or have any of you successfully checked a bag with a few liters of chemistry traveling internationally. Thanks for your help.

Re: New55 pos/neg instant 4x5 film - chemical processing alternatives

As I recall the powder Kodak fixer is sodium thiosulfate based - Ilford Rapid Fix is ammonium thiosulfate like all rapid fixes. Not sure how 'modern' the technology in the New55 neg is, but most modern films should really be fixed in ammonium thiosulfate fixers owing to the use of higher iodide content emulsions. Adding vinegar will have no useful effect.

Most fixer used industrially in the print/ xray industry is rapid fix I think - that may be a route to look at. Which country are you flying to?

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    As I recall the powder Kodak fixer is sodium thiosulfate based - Ilford Rapid Fix is ammonium thiosulfate like all rapid fixes. Not sure how 'modern' the technology in the New55 neg is, but most modern films should really be fixed in ammonium thiosulfate fixers owing to the use of higher iodide content emulsions. Adding vinegar will have no useful effect.

Most fixer used industrially in the print/ xray industry is rapid fix I think - that may be a route to look at. Which country are you flying to?
    Thanks for your input. It sounds like you are not familiar with New55 positive/negative film. It is not traditional film. The acid aspect is necessary for clearing the goo off the negative.

I am going Zanzibar : )

Wildervision, when I got my first box of New55 I used whatever rapid fix I had on hand at the time. It seemed to work fine. However, I mentioned this to Sam and he strongly recommended the Ilford Rapid Fix. No idea why, but there must be a reason! After my first box, I used nothing but the Ilford stuff.

Freestyle in LA should be able to ship you Ilford fix to wherever you're going. I had them send me some in Abu Dhabi last year.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Wildervision, when I got my first box of New55 I used whatever rapid fix I had on hand at the time. It seemed to work fine. However, I mentioned this to Sam and he strongly recommended the Ilford Rapid Fix. No idea why, but there must be a reason! After my first box, I used nothing but the Ilford stuff.
    Great info - thanks : )

Tracy - Excellent suggestion. : ) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildervision View Post
    Thanks for your input. It sounds like you are not familiar with New55 positive/negative film. It is not traditional film. The acid aspect is necessary for clearing the goo off the negative.

I am going Zanzibar : )
    I am very familiar with what New55 is - it's a conventional sheet film packaged with a podded monobath & a diffusion transfer receiver sheet. I've not tried new55 yet, but it is very clear from the instructions that the negative is not fully fixed at the time you recover it from the envelope after processing - anyway, it's the ammonium thiosulfate that does the hard work of fixing & clearing, not the acid. I suspect their recommendations may have been based around using a slightly less acid fix than one meant for use with a hardener - even so, Hypam has the same pH at working strength as Rapid Fix & Hypam is designed for use with a hardener. I'd not be entirely surprised if most of the less acid rapid fixers of the same intended dilution (1+4) worked fine used at 1+1 on New55.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I am very familiar with what New55 is - it's a conventional sheet film packaged with a podded monobath & a diffusion transfer receiver sheet. I've not tried new55 yet, but it is very clear from the instructions that the negative is not fully fixed at the time you recover it from the envelope after processing - anyway, it's the ammonium thiosulfate that does the hard work of fixing & clearing, not the acid. I suspect their recommendations may have been based around using a slightly less acid fix than one meant for use with a hardener - even so, Hypam has the same pH at working strength as Rapid Fix & Hypam is designed for use with a hardener. I'd not be entirely surprised if most of the less acid rapid fixers of the same intended dilution (1+4) worked fine used at 1+1 on New55.
    Thanks so much for all this info. : )