Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Build a Stereo LF Camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to Build a Stereo LF Camera

Does anybody have a design for converting a large format camera to stereo? I have a body and two identical Zeiss lenses.

Now what?

thanks

Re: How to Build a Stereo LF Camera

It's going to depend on the camera, you need an internal dividerbetween the lenses and the film plane and a wide enough lens board with the correct amout of separartion between the lenses, that also may need to vary depending on how close you want to focus.

I'd look up old Patents to see some ways around the issues. The leading collector and also owner of the London Streoscopic Company is a well known rock guitarist, you may know his name Might be a good site to visit.

Acyually a Google image seach shows you far more

Ian

Thanks for the lead....I will check it out.

I figure the easiest camera to use might be a 10x8 camera like an Agfa Ansco Universal or Commercial View or equivalent, shooting 7x5 film. You wouldn't need to modify the camera itself, instead make a 7x5 conversion back which has the divider fitted to it. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while, I've thought about a stereoscopic installation of quite large prints but have never got around to trying it, I've s been looking out for a cheap LF stereo camera but they always sell for high prices..

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I've thought about a stereoscopic installation of quite large prints but have never got around to trying it

Ian

how are people to view these prints? with some kind of custom viewer set up or will they stand there and try to merge them themselves?

I think it would be fairly easy to construct something a lensboard with two lenses - normal spacing is about 2.5" I think
    and a back with a divider - the interesting question is how to view the finished product?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    how are people to view these prints? with some kind of custom viewer set up or will they stand there and try to merge them themselves?

I think it would be fairly easy to construct something a lensboard with two lenses - normal spacing is about 2.5" I think
    and a back with a divider - the interesting question is how to view the finished product?
    I've thought about that , it needs some experimenting though with test prints. I can easily make a back for one of my Agfa Ansco cameras and could include a focal plane shutter, I have one that just needs a new curtain - at the moment it's impractical as it's a high speed shutter so only has a narrow slit width. I'd use two Cooke Series II 5¾" lenses (I have 3).

Ian

Actually the LSC sute is a bit disappointing.

On the Google image page you can see the divider in at least one photoit doesn't go quite to the front standard to allow for focussing. You'll also see many cameras use a wide Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter, in all my time searching ebay I've only seen one, other than when fitted to a streo camera. You can also see one camera where the distance between the two lens boards can be adjusted this seems less common it's more important for close up work.

Some cameras use a single lens and the lens board slides to two different positions, usually these have a removable divider so stereo or normal images can be made.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    [...]Some cameras use a single lens and the lens board slides to two different positions, usually these have a removable divider so stereo or normal images can be made.
    I like that idea.

About 50% of tailboard 13x18cm German reisekameras have built-in fitments for mounting a central folding septum that adjusts with focussing and different focal lengths. Quite a few 18x25cm models have this too.

Earlyphotography.co.uk now has a very good section on the "one lens" solution. Some UK plate models have both this adaption and vertical sliding lens boards too.

Stereoscopic cameras and lens pairs proper, are the realm of the wealthy or "driven"!

Here is the link. One lens solutions are shown at the bottom of the page.

öhttp://earlyphotography.co.uk/site/stereo.html

Quote Originally Posted by durr3 View Post
    Does anybody have a design for converting a large format camera to stereo? I have a body and two identical Zeiss lenses.

Now what?

thanks
    The approximately 1% range in the focal lengths of the same lens from a manufacturer makes this impossible. Waterhouse stops are better than irises.