Thread: Identify brand 8x10 back

Identify brand 8x10 back

I am asking help in identifying the brand of this metal 8x10 back. I thought at first it was a Cambo, but the mount plate isn't right for that system (no notches). Attached are an overall view plus two views of a corner to show the shapes and the mold patterns. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I want to put this up for sale and have no idea which system it goes to. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4026.jpg   DSC_4027.jpg   DSC_4029.jpg  
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Identify brand 8x10 back

Are there no makers marks of any kind moulded or stamped on the inside? Unusual. Maybe Horseman?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

It's almost definitely European and post WWII as it has 18x24 markings, looks possiblly Cambo (sold as Calumet in the US).

With 5x4 I think there's 3 different fit Cambo backs (and variations of some) and they and parts aren't inter-changeable, I'd think possibly more than one for 10x8 as well. It does look remakably similar to the back on my Cambo Cadet, so don't rule out Cambo one of the budget models.

It's not off a British camera so there aren't many European makers to chose from, it's not Linhof. Plaubel maybe, I doubt Arca Swiss. My minds blank I can't think of other possible manufactuers.

Ian

I think it's a Devere 8x10 copy back from the repro system......

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    I think it's a Devere 8x10 copy back from the repro system......
    I'm not 10% sure

There's some similarities to the De Vere repro backs which are very different to those on their Monorails, but I'm not sure as I have two smaller repro backs and while close not enough to say definite. Probable, well pssibly.

Ian

Any ideas what brand this is? Help please.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Phil was right, it's definitely off a 10x8 De Vere copy camera, the make is on the GG screen These cameras were essentially made using De Vere Vertical enlarger frames with all the focussing stage but instead of a condenser, cold cathode or colour head they had a LF back, some were 5x4, this is off a 10x8. The spring mechanism is the same as on my two 5x4 copy back, what fooled me earlier was the way these attach to the focus frame that differs probably so a 5x4 Polaroid back could be used, the focus fram can be slid out on the 5x4's.

These backs fit in a frame with a 45º mirror at the back so you can focus while standing in front of the camera.

Ian