Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Drum Scanning Service?

Re: Best Drum Scanning Service?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonst View Post
    Hello,
    I also want to buy Epson but still confuse about the printer. I also want to print large image with super clearity but drum scanning is not so clear as epson. I personally feel that epson is good against drum scanner.....
    I have been using the Epson V800 for months now and I have been very pleased with the results. I scan at 16bit grayscale at 2400DPI. This gets me a working file of about 52x62 at 360 DPI which is the native resolution of my 44" Epson 9880. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Hello,
    I also want to buy Epson but still confuse about the printer. I also want to print large image with super clearity but drum scanning is not so clear as epson. I personally feel that epson is good against drum scanner.....

I am sorry, I personally think you need to show how you came to that conclusion. There is no way in the world the epson is remotely close to the drum scan. When I was scanning 8x10s on the 750, the MOST I would go is 16x20. The drum scan will easily go to 60" inches without breaking a sweat. I am scanning really really good 2 1/4s to 60"x60" and there is no way you could make a decent 16"x16" print from an Epson flat bed scan of these. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't seen a good drum scan. If you'd like me to prove it contact me privately and maybe i'll have you send me a negative.
    Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
    Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

came to thread late but Really like the membership 55/scan idea some of the prices are ridiculous.

Hello,
    I’d have to second what Richard has said. There’s absolutely no way an Epson scanner can match a good drum scan... not only in resolution but in shadow detail as well.

Ethan

I've not used them, but you might check out Agx Imaging in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. (http://www.agximaging.com/).

Does anyone know if Lenny Eiger is still doing drum scans?

Quote Originally Posted by MultiFormat Shooter View Post
    Here’s a link to his website, the about page states the he's currently doing scanning, but not printing. Looks like he’s moved to Santa Cruz.

http://eigerstudios.com/

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by MultiFormat Shooter View Post
    i am still doing scans... And yes I moved to Santa Cruz a couple of years ago.... thanks Roger, for pointing that out. I put the address below:

I'm pretty busy these days, doing all kinds of non-Photograph things to make a living. Yet the scanner is still here, is working smoothly and I'm about to do some scans this afternoon....

Wishing you all well,

Lenny Eiger

EigerStudios
    565 Western Drive Apt A
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

www.eigerstudios.com
    707-235-6899
    eiger@eigerstudios.com
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    i am still doing scans....
    Great to hear! Hopefully, I will have items, in the next few months, if I can finally get good weather, and get out of the house.

Shit, our cheap little Howtek's are way better than even those behemoth Crossfield's that used to populate service bureaus and certain labs. I was shocked when L.A. Natural History Museum had a Crossfield scan made of a 6x8 cm Velvia at 8000 that they didn't like. Told 'em that I didn't know if the Howtek would be better, but it turned out that it was so much better in ever regard that I actually got paid for that one. Even though I've done thousands of scans for others over the years, these days it's only my own stuff - I'm still finding images - and good ones that I've somehow missed over the last 22 years of drum scanning.