Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Drum Scanning Service?

Best Drum Scanning Service?

As I'm getting into 8x10 B&W, I'm looking into scanning the negatives. I was all ready to buy an Epson 11000XL for wet mounting my 8x10 negatives until I saw in the specs that the max res that this scanner and the V850 will do is 12,800 x 12,800 pixels. Most of my work will be 40x60 or bigger. So I'm looking at scanning the negs at 2000+dpi. At 2400DPI this would put the file at 19,200 x 24,000 pixels.

Now I'm looking at drum scanning services. I realize this is the best way for large prints from what has been posted in the forum. I looked at drumscanning.com and they charge $110. Others that I have looked at are about $220. Does anyone have one they have used and would recommend? Sometimes the cheapest is not the best. I appreciate your input. Thanks...

Re: Best Drum Scanning Service?

Contact Lenny Eiger here on the forum, he comes highly recommended by many here.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll send him a PM. Thanks!

I've used Tim Parkin's service two times. He's great.

There are drum scanning services and then there are drum scanning services. I've been doing high end drum scans for the last eighteen years. You want an artist on the operating end of your scanner and someone who really understands all aspects of scanning, AND you want to have a scan and scanner that is fully color managed and an operator able to deliver scans in whatever color space you request and not just assign a profile to the file the scanner spits out. For black and white scans you typically want the either in 16bpc gamma 2.2 Grayscale or in a 2.2 gamma color space like Adobe RGB, but not sRGB which has a modified gamma curve. Pixel for pixel, the scan from a good drum scanner will be far better with smoother gradations and sharper detail than any flatbed scanner, but 8x10's are a bitch to mount on the smaller scanners as there's not a lot of extra room to tape. And if you're getting a Howtek/Aztek scan, the closest optical res for an HR8000/Premier is going to be 2666.67 ppi and if it's an SM4500, it will either be 4000 or 2000 with nothing available in between. ICG and Hell are going to have slightly different specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    There are drum scanning services and then there are drum scanning services. I've been doing high end drum scans for the last eighteen years. You want an artist on the operating end of your scanner and someone who really understands all aspects of scanning, AND you want to have a scan and scanner that is fully color managed and an operator able to deliver scans in whatever color space you request and not just assign a profile to the file the scanner spits out. For black and white scans you typically want the either in 16bpc gamma 2.2 Grayscale or in a 2.2 gamma color space like Adobe RGB, but not sRGB which has a modified gamma curve. Pixel for pixel, the scan from a good drum scanner will be far better with smoother gradations and sharper detail than any flatbed scanner, but 8x10's are a bitch to mount on the smaller scanners as there's not a lot of extra room to tape. And if you're getting a Howtek/Aztek scan, the closest optical res for an HR8000/Premier is going to be 2666.67 ppi and if it's an SM4500, it will either be 4000 or 2000 with nothing available in between. ICG and Hell are going to have slightly different specs.
    I appreciate your input and I agree with you 100%. I was a pre-press manager for 20 years. Resolution and profiles were something that we always had a hard time trying to get customers to understand. "Why can't you use that file? It looks good on the screen." Ahhh, all day long. Anyway, do you offer scanning services? If so what are your rates? Thanks...

http://www.lightwork.org/services/

55/scan on a howtek, run by people who know what they're doing.

bill

If you are looking for someone in the Midwest Tom Fritz Studio in Milwaukee does a great job.

I'll check them out, appreciate it!

http://analogue-arts.com/

Based in London, UK so probably not idea for OP.