Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Drum Scanning Service?

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Re: Best Drum Scanning Service?

Why not go directly to the source. Give Evan Lippincott a call www.aztek.com . He's the BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Contact Lenny Eiger here on the forum, he comes highly recommended by many here.
    Does he still offer scanning services? I tried to "look him up" online, but his website is down.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiFormat Shooter View Post
    Does he still offer scanning services? I tried to "look him up" online, but his website is down.
    I do still offer scanning services. My Premier had a preventative maintenance last year and its running like a well-oiled machine. Thanks for the kind words, Ari.

Sorry about the web site being down, there isn't much info there anyway since I started to redo it and then ran out of time. I made a little change in there last week and somehow Apache didn't start up again. I just got notified and its back up... (Thanks, Peter).

I am happy to answer any questions, either here, or if you'd like to contact me directly. I can be reached at eiger@eigerstudios.com or 707-763-5922 (please note that I am in Pacific Time Zone, please don't call at 4 AM)

Nice to check in again, hope everyone is well.

Regards,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I do still offer scanning services. My Premier had a preventative maintenance last year and its running like a well-oiled machine.
    Awesome, get to hear you're still going strong! I have a few E-6 chromes that I would like to get scanned in the next month or two.

Am I doing the math incorrectly, a 16-bit bw scan at 19,200 x 24,000 pixels would be a 900gb file? I'm nuts right?

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    Am I doing the math incorrectly, a 16-bit bw scan at 19,200 x 24,000 pixels would be a 900gb file? I'm nuts right?
    Not correct math.

I use 2666 for 8x10, that's 26,660 pixels for the 10 inch edge and 21,328 for the 8 inch edge. It comes out to about 3 gigs in 16 bit RGB. If I wanted to convert to B&W, it would be one of those channels, usually the Green, and it would be 1/3 of the size, name 1 Gig.

You calculations are likely leading you to 900 Megabytes... not Gigabytes.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
    http://analogue-arts.com/

Based in London, UK so probably not idea for OP.
    Ideal for me though...thanks for info!
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    Ideal for me though...thanks for info!
    You'd might want to check out www.drumscanning.co.uk

I've used them a couple of times and they are great, they're also much cheaper.

Check this out here: http://www.bwmastery.com/blog/2016/b...lodima-digital

I've done a lot of work figuring out the best input curves for many black and white films and adjust them as needed for each negative. I typically scan 8x10s to 1660-2000 SPI but can go higher if needed. The great thing about this scanner is the ability to scan ULF negatives like 11x14, 8x20 or 12x20 negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
    Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

Quote Originally Posted by macmaster77 View Post
    As I'm getting into 8x10 B&W, I'm looking into scanning the negatives. I was all ready to buy an Epson 11000XL for wet mounting my 8x10 negatives until I saw in the specs that the max res that this Large scanning service and the V850 will do is 12,800 x 12,800 pixels. Most of my work will be 40x60 or bigger. So I'm looking at scanning the negs at 2000+dpi. At 2400DPI this would put the file at 19,200 x 24,000 pixels.

Now I'm looking at drum scanning services. I realize this is the best way for large prints from what has been posted in the forum. I looked at drumscanning.com and they charge $110. Others that I have looked at are about $220. Does anyone have one they have used and would recommend? Sometimes the cheapest is not the best. I appreciate your input. Thanks...
    Hello,
    I also want to buy Epson but still confuse about the printer. I also want to print large image with super clearity but drum scanning is not so clear as epson. I personally feel that epson is good against drum scanner.....