Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing/cleaning metal parts - Deardorff

Polishing/cleaning metal parts - Deardorff

Hi to all. I'm over the moon with the new-to-me 1940's Deardorff V8! Camera is in fine condition for its age - especially the wood! I have taken advice given in past postings and repaired the few pinholes in the bellows corners with a mix of PVA glue/soap/black acrylic paint and it works! Now to my question! The metal parts of the camera are in good condition but there are a few patches of discolouring (patination?) and wondered if anyone had any ideas how I should go about cleaning/polishing these parts (if in fact I should bother at all as its purely cosmetic!) ANY suggestions welcome! Thanks Paul

There is a special polishing paste used to give a new look
    to stainless steel kitchen sinks which I would try.

Deardorff metal parts are not stainless; they are nickle plated brass except for the very last ones like the Tennessee Deardorff, which had stainless metal parts.

Use a mild metal polish and stop if the discoloration becomes any worse, you're removing the plating.

Steve

I had a similar situation (plus a little pitting) with my first Deardorff. I removed the offending parts and had them replated by a local metal plating company. Cost about $200 IIRC.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Paul

I also recently bought a V8 for messing around with some alternative processes. They are pretty cool cameras... I'm astounded that no other manufacturer has ever copied that very clever "front rise in the lensboard" thing - seems so sensible.

I definitely take a look at Ken Hough's site before doing anything to the metal on your camera: http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Care.htm Also, if you have any specific questions, contact Ken - I have found him to be extremely helpful.

Whoa, Stop, right now. Before you consider doing any business with Mr. Hough please research his history.

Clean it up with a light polish if you must, then leave it alone.

If you're going to polish the metal parts, remove them from the camera. Metal polish is bad for wood. (this from Ken Houghs website)
    Better yet, forget about it, it's only cosmetic, use the camera as is!
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Thanks everyone - think I'll forget it ... there, forgotten!

Paul,

What type of finish is on the parts? Bright(plated) or Gold ( paint)?---Deardorff used both types over the years. If you do end up removing the bright parts for cleaning try a soak in a little juice from fresno chili peppers(or jalapenos if you can't find fresnos) Don't try this is they're gold painted---it might take off the paint!

Another option is to use a small buffing attachment on a Dremel tool WITHOUT any metal polish if the parts are being buffed "in situ" maybe try a little wood friendly wax instead as others here have indicated that metal polish isn't kind to the surrounding wood.

By all means check out Ken Hough's website. Please let me know if you know of a source for candy maker's wax(recommended for wood to wood lubrication---though I'm using beeswax candle stubs with excellent results so far)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Jim

I was not suggesting that anyone send anything to Ken! I simply wanted to point out that his website is a useful resource for Deardorff owners and that I have found him to be helpful in giving advice. I am aware of the issues people have had with his business practices and would certainly advocate that anyone thinking about transacting with him should, as you suggest, research poast experiences people have had with him. Jack Deardorff is also a good source of advice and parts and I have found him, too, to be most helpful.