Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your 90mm f:8 Nikkor have a brass shim on the rear element?

Does your 90mm f:8 Nikkor have a brass shim on the rear element?

Only 0.002" thick? I ask because I've got a nice one (no shim) and a beater with shim. On the rear element. Thanks.

Re: Does your 90mm f:8 Nikkor have a brass shim on the rear element?

no shims on mine... front or back

Thanks

Mine is sans shims.

Q. is the beat up one still in the original Nikon shutter or has someone swapped it into a non-Nikon branded shutter?
    if the cells have been swapped between shutters, maybe the shim is from the lens that was originally on that shutter ???

The shim *could* be original, of course. It may have been decided during QC that this particular lens/shutter combination needed that extra 2 thou. Reading this FAQ entry from Flutot's Camera Repair, it seems they expect this to be the case from time to time: http://flutotscamerarepair.com/FAQ.htm#RemoveLens

Quote Originally Posted by tih View Post
    The shim *could* be original, of course.
    indeed, it could be.... but I'm wondering if it's not original because I have a few lenses with shims and they're all on the front

I am a little embarrassed to fully explain why I am asking but I will. I was making a list of all my LF lenses for insurance purposes and figured I'd clean them as I went. A few required removal from the shutter to clean the inner element as there was some haze present. When I got done I see this spacer sitting on the counter. It had to be from a Copal 0 lens, it had to be one I took out of the shutter, which narrowed it down to the point where I was almost sure where it came from. It doesn't really fit the Nikkor front element but is a nice fit for the step on the back element. I have a vague recollection of this being there on this lens, which I had to fully disassemble when I bought it due to some fungus which thankfully left no permanent etching. So anyway, I thought I'd ask.

It has been my experience that shims are more likely a creature of wide angles, and that 0.002 inches of spacing in a longer focal length would not make a difference in a photo. I've used a loop looking at the aerial image with this one with and without the shim and I honestly don't see a difference.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who took the time to check. I'll probably run a test with the AF resolution chart and some film just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I am a little embarrassed to fully explain why I am asking but I will. I was making a list of all my LF lenses for insurance purposes and figured I'd clean them as I went. A few required removal from the shutter to clean the inner element as there was some haze present. When I got done I see this spacer sitting on the counter. It had to be from a Copal 0 lens, it had to be one I took out of the shutter, which narrowed it down to the point where I was almost sure where it came from. It doesn't really fit the Nikkor front element but is a nice fit for the step on the back element. I have a vague recollection of this being there on this lens, which I had to fully disassemble when I bought it due to some fungus which thankfully left no permanent etching. So anyway, I thought I'd ask.

It has been my experience that shims are more likely a creature of wide angles, and that 0.002 inches of spacing in a longer focal length would not make a difference in a photo. I've used a loop looking at the aerial image with this one with and without the shim and I honestly don't see a difference.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who took the time to check. I'll probably run a test with the AF resolution chart and some film just to be safe.
    The AF made a nice chart but your lens was not made for copying a flat chart at near distances. Go shoot a brick wall.

I was not going to shoot it at a near distance. I have three charts us one in the middle left and right of the frame.