Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 2880 died; suggest a replacement?

Epson 2880 died; suggest a replacement?

My R2880 bit the dust, and now I'm looking for its replacement. I don't print large, a 13"-wide printer will do, and I print 75% B&W on Moab Juniper paper, 25% colour on Moab Estrada.
    I'm not really up on the latest printers, or even recent printers (is the R3000 worth a look at $400 USD?)

I have the chance to get a local Epson 4880 for a good price, but I'm afraid it's too big, and overkill for what I need.
    Still, it's a good printer and I may have to buy it if I can't find anything else in my price range (~$350 USD).

So before making a decision, I'd like to ask the commentariat for some suggestions:
    Can you recommend a decent, affordable printer that uses 3 black inks and is of a relatively small desktop size?
    It would be nice to have a printer that could use both Matte Black and Photo Black inks, thus saving me lots of time and, um, ink.
    I know that would be a little more expensive, but I'd still want to hear about it, in case I decide to splurge.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Epson 2880 died; suggest a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    My R2880 bit the dust, and now I'm looking for its replacement. I don't print large, a 13"-wide printer will do, and I print 75% B&W on Moab Juniper paper, 25% colour on Moab Estrada.
    I'm not really up on the latest printers, or even recent printers (is the R3000 worth a look at $400 USD?)

I have the chance to get a local Epson 4880 for a good price, but I'm afraid it's too big, and overkill for what I need.
    Still, it's a good printer and I may have to buy it if I can't find anything else in my price range (~$350 USD).

So before making a decision, I'd like to ask the commentariat for some suggestions:
    Can you recommend a decent, affordable printer that uses 3 black inks and is of a relatively small desktop size?
    It would be nice to have a printer that could use both Matte Black and Photo Black inks, thus saving me lots of time and, um, ink.
    I know that would be a little more expensive, but I'd still want to hear about it, in case I decide to splurge.

Thank you in advance.
    Stay Focused,
    Chuck Carstensen

Epson P600. The 4880 is being discontinued
    Stay Focused,
    Chuck Carstensen

Thanks, Chuck, though I'm not too worried about what's current or discontinued.
    From what I found online, the R3000 seems to be a good printer, with two switchable Matte/Photo black ink cartridges, and is apparently on a quality level with the 3880.
    But if anyone uses a 4880, I'd love to hear from you.

mitch

hi ari
    I have 3 4880 in the barn that are for parts now . if you don't use them they clog but they are great printers . when the last one died I got a P800 and I love it no clogs and just a great printer.
    so I would pass on the 4880 and get a P800.
    mitch

Hi Mitch,
    Thank you; I've heard great things about the P800.
    I would definitely buy that should I decide to stretch my budget.
    Epson is all having a good rebate on them until the 30th of September.

I've had a 4880 for years. Clog prone is an understatement and I think sometimes I spend more on head cleaning than on printing.

But it is really good when it prints and it has an automatic cut off arrangement for rolls, which the new 800 doesn't have even if you get the roll feed option.

Dan Burkholder recommends the Epson 3880 in his "The New Inkjet Negative Companion". Personally went for the Epson 4900. I taught Digital Photography for years at the Hartford Art School. Their computer labs used 4900s. They survived abuse from students for years. Bit the $$$ bullet and bought an Epson 4900 and haven't looked back... Heads never block up from non use. My Epson 7800's heads would block up if I didn't use on a weekly basis.

Thanks, guys; my 2880 died as a result of clogging, so what Jim says about the 4880 doesn't sound too good.
    Yes, I'm an erratic printer, sometimes printing lots, then going weeks without printing.
    So would the P800 still be the printer of choice?