Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does "formal" mean to you?

Drew Wiley

Re: What does "formal" mean to you?

Edward Weston made a spectacular contact print of an old toilet. But there was actual craft involved. But SF and urinals. There is sure a squabble over them on the streets arond Golden Gate Park. Homeowners are complaining that public pee booths spoil the ambiance of the neighborhood, while other homeowners are insisting complaining that if they aren't there, people pee on their trees anyway. I grew up in the woods in a house with single bathroom, and my sister routinely had lots of other teenage gals over, often overnite. Not inconvenient if you do live in the woods with lots of trees. Otherwise....

I prefer the woods.

I have long wanted to get 100 people to pee in their pants outside City Hall, to protest the lack of facilities.

My inspiration is Tony Tasset. Cibachrome print. 84X48" No nudity, just damp pants. http://www.artnet.com/magazine/index...man12-22-9.asp
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    But urinal art is so useful, especially to this old man. I could use it often!

Look where the first urinal is, SF!

Formal Art is it...

https://www.sfmoma.org/artwork/98.291
    Here you go, Randy!

http://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2012/1...s2-390x285.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of, Alan! I'm downright sick of anything Warhol, and frankly wish "Modern Art" venues would simply move on past these utterly predicatable commodities. That whole Pop Art era itself became a Byzantine regime some time back. Did you see the recent prank where someone simply laid a pair of reading
    glasses on the floor in a museum and then sat back watching people making "art-speak" about it, like an actual installation, and taking pictures and cell phone videos one after another?
    I'm not a big Warhol fan either. Some modern art I like and some I don't. That is funny about the glasses!

Speaking of urinals. Are you guys watching the debates tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Just turned it off.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Just turned it off.
    I watched it. You didn't miss anything.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    To my great disappointment, it wasn't worth pee'ing on. But as an homage to Marcel DuChamp, it seems many of the comebacks were "ready-mades".....
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Drew Wiley

Well, it's amazing just how often not only plumbing fixtures get recycled, but the same gags. Lots of Pop Art pranks in the 60's and 70's had been done numerous
    times before by Dada, including Duchamp. When my aunt was still alive and a noted art historian as well as painter, she recited just how many times she had seen blank canvases installed in Museums over the years, including the famous (or infamous), "White Cow in a Snowstorm" in the 1920's. Then I mentioned that someone recently had the nerve to thumbtack a still stinking roadkilled house cat to a museum canvas, and she merely remarked how even that had been done over and over again, clear back to Dada. I do admire how Picasso made a bull head out of just the seat and handlbars of an old bicycle. But when it comes to
    used plumbing, guess I should just buy the architectural salvage lot down the street and put up a museum sign, and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, it's amazing just how often not only plumbing fixtures get recycled, but the same gags. Lots of Pop Art pranks in the 60's and 70's had been done numerous
    times before by Dada, including Duchamp. When my aunt was still alive and a noted art historian as well as painter, she recited just how many times she had seen blank canvases installed in Museums over the years, including the famous (or infamous), "White Cow in a Snowstorm" in the 1920's. Then I mentioned that someone recently had the nerve to thumbtack a still stinking roadkilled house cat to a museum canvas, and she merely remarked how even that had been done over and over again, clear back to Dada. I do admire how Picasso made a bull head out of just the seat and handlbars of an old bicycle. But when it comes to
    used plumbing, guess I should just buy the architectural salvage lot down the street and put up a museum sign, and be done with it.
    Now we know what you don't like.

What do you like?
    Tin Can