Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I bought Sinar F with no lens board. Advice?

Re: I bought Sinar F with no lens board. Advice?

Hello Amanda and welcome to the forum.

It would be a very good idea for you to purchase a lens wrench to attach your Copal 3 Shutter and Nikkor lens to a proper lens board. There are other ways of doing it but a lens wrench is the safest and best way. They are inexpensive too! Here is a good one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ns_Wrench.html

Yea, buy a Sinar board with a #3 hole. Then mount the 210 Nikkor on it. And download the Sinar manual available on line from several sources. L

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Amanda, and Welcome Aboard.

I'm inclined to think that the F lensboards are the same as the F2 lensboards, but I can't guarantee that.

F2 lensboards are as common as pretty leaves in the fall. You step anywhere and you'll trip over them.

They're available with many different size holes to properly mount any shutter.
    You need to specify the shutter if ordering a board.

Used equipment vendors like B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) in New York or
    KEH (KEH.com) in Atlanta have used lensboards available

Also, Igor has used Sinar boards at http://igorcamera.com/sinar_film_digital.htm near the bottom.

Note that you do not want other Sinar boards, specifically the DB boards, or those identified as
    adapter boards for Nikon F lenses. Those are very different from the standard Sinar lens boards.

- Leigh
    All Sinar lensboards fit all Sinar cameras.

Sinar DB is specific to lenses mounted for use Sinar shutter. Sinar DB mount has the aperture mechanism on the Sinar lens board specifically designed to couple with the Sinar shutter. This system was designed to allow easy visibility of lens aperture setting, automatic-coupled lens stop down when the film holder is in place and reduce lens stopping down errors.

Sinar DB is NOT a Nikon F to Sinar adapter.

All Sinar boards are interchangeable from Sinar Norma on.
    Sinar lens boards were originally a shade of gray for the Norma, then thinnish black with crinkle paint with Sinar cast into the back of the len board, then the last generation which has the raised Sinar lettering cast into the front. The Sinar lens boards with the cast lettering in front are best. There are aftermrket Sinar boards ranging from excellent to awful.

Bernice

Note that you do not want other Sinar boards, specifically the DB boards, or those identified as
    adapter boards for Nikon F lenses. Those are very different from the standard Sinar lens boards.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Technica boards will limit shutter-lens size. Try using a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 or similar with a sizable lens on a Technica board, not gonna wok.

Essentially, the Technica to Sinar board adapter is a trade-off and not ideal in all cases. What makes a Sinar attractive is the ability to use almost any optic far beyond any field camera.

Bernice
    Not so; a Copal 3 Technika board is readily available online, some lenses/cameras may require the use of a spacer to facilitate use.
    As for Ilex 5, I've mounted it on a Technika board, but I needed the services of a very skilled machinist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleiny41 View Post
    Nikkor 210mm with a Copal 3 shutter
    Worth checking that it is Copal 3. Both my Nikkor 210s are in Copal 1 (Nikkor-W and Nikkor ED-AM macro) but I don't have extensive knowledge of the Nikon lineup....

Drew Wiley

Spacers are clumsy, even though no.3 Technika boards are readily available. I've even got some huge process lenses mounted on full-sized Sinar boards that required a custom spacer. Just be aware that there are Technika-style boards with centered holes, which is what you generally want, versus the ones with the
    hole off-center downwards, intended for actual Linhof Technika cameras.

Sinar DB is NOT a Nikon F to Sinar adapter.
    Bernice,

Kindly re-read my statement, thus:
    The Sinar DB board and the Sinar adapter board for Nikon F lenses are two different boards.

I mentioned them because Igor lists them along with the desired standard Sinar boards in the same section.

Since the OP is a newbie, I didn't want those references to confuse her.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Technica boards will limit shutter-lens size.
    Try using a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 or similar with a sizable lens on a Technica board, not gonna wok.
    Bernice,

There can be a clearance problem using the Copal #3 on a Technika board, particularly with an adapter.
    The retaining strap across the top may interfere with the movement of the shutter controls.

The solution is to rotate the shutter 90 degrees when mounting.
    That puts the controls and scales on the side where the retaining strap does not interfere.

I have several large lenses on Copal #3/Technika boards that I use on various larger cameras with adapter boards, including a Nikkor W 300/5.6 with its 420mm image circle, 95mm filter, and 1250gm (2.75 pound) weight.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to my post! I genuinely appreciate all of your wisdom! I was wrong about my Nikkor 210mm- it has a Copal 1 shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk