Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Re: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I reject the premise that I should simply deflate my prices so that my items sell faster than they can go off page 1. That's just crazy, and it would deflate the value of all our gear investments.
    Investments? Camera gear is an investment to professionals who can depreciate equipment, and more. It seems to me you are erring by considering a free venue vs pay-as-you try to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    "Exorbitant fee" - iɡˈzôrbəd(ə)nt fē - adjective + noun. a relative term

eBay charges the typical seller a commission of 10% of the sales price, and if PayPal is used, there is a PayPal fee of 2.9% + $0.30, which can be charged to either buyer or seller, as agreed. And, then there are the PayPal refund policy issues. There are additional small fees for enhanced listings, etc. eBay store sellers pay a monthly subscription fee, and lower commissions. Listings are free, up to a certain number, after which additional charges apply. Various rules apply.

In contrast, what might be called "live" auction houses charge sellers a commission of up to 25%, and charge buyers a "premium" of up to 23% (17.5% at Christie's, 20% at Sotheby's, 23% at Skinner). These fees, of course, are in addition to appraisal and other fees (e.g. prep, crating, and shipping) that are paid by the seller. Marketing, and attracting the right set of potential buyers are handled by the auction house. Complex rules, defined by contract, apply.

Used camera vendors typically pay about 50% of what they think they can can sell the item for, but it's an up-front payment, not tied to the item actually selling.

LFPF - no seller fees, no buyer premiums, 3/day limit on listings, rules apply.

Everyone has a choice.
    Yeah it was either going to be eBay, LFF, or Christie's. *eyeroll* But if your point is that selling something should feel like a colonoscapy no matter where it takes place, then you've succeeded.

All I know is the for sale section, after the recent changes, has become klunky, null, and void. Fewer people are selling, so fewer people are finding what they might like. Was that worth stopping an unfair bump or two?

People don't search the FS section because they don't know what they might be interested in. Search for what? "Dallmeyer 3B" might come back empty because someone listed it as "Dream Lens". 99.9% of the users will simply click the For Sale link, look up and down the first page subject lines. Less than half of them will even click on page 2. The argument that we should "train the world" to workaround a klunky system is....well, a stupid workaround. The main problem is that a bump doesn't bring it to the top. Fix that, it's all back to good.

I reject the premise that I should simply deflate my prices so that my items sell faster than they can go off page 1. That's just crazy, and it would deflate the value of all our gear investments. I'm not trying to give anyone a screaming good deal, I'm trying to sell my items at their fair market price to a small audience.
    Sheesh! LFPF is a poor venue for selling equipment. It doesn't reach enough potential buyers. If you're trying to sell here you have to accept that unless you offer desirable items at relatively low prices you'll make few sales.

Fair market value has a meaning, and sellers (that's you) don't get to set it. It is what items usually sell for in markets with many sellers and buyers. eBay, for example.

I think you're looking for rich suckers here and not finding them. Fancy that.

I consider my equipment investments, I am a professional photographer. I expect my film gear to hold at least 70% of it's value, in many cases it has held 100% of it's value or more.

As for your other point, look, all I did was suggest that the new rules are too restrictive. I didn't kick a table over or throw a beer in anyone's face. If you don't agree with me then make your opposing argument or move it right along. If my opinion is so earth shattering to mods or forum members then I'm totally fine with the thread being deleted. It's just my feedback which I believe I should be free to give.

I consider my equipment investments, I am a professional photographer. I expect my film gear to hold at least 70% of it's value, in many cases it has held 100% of it's value or more.
    Value is determined by the selling price. Any consumer hardware over a year old and sold is devalued. Work it out.

Maybe you should shift to reselling used refrigerators.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Sheesh! LFPF is a poor venue for selling equipment. It doesn't reach enough potential buyers. If you're trying to sell here you have to accept that unless you offer desirable items at relatively low prices you'll make few sales.

Fair market value has a meaning, and sellers (that's you) don't get to set it. It is what items usually sell for in markets with many sellers and buyers. eBay, for example.

I think you're looking for rich suckers here and not finding them. Fancy that.
    Fair market value as in I searched through recent closed FS ads and priced my equipment according to those sales. Where on earth do you get the idea that I was saying FMV means a number I pulled out of my head? Most 45N-2s on this site have been selling for $800-850.00 and that's where I priced mine. Yeah if I were to set it at $500 dollars someone would buy it right away! But I don't feel like getting particularly fleeced.

And I would counter that LFF is one of the best places to sell...wait for it...LARGE FORMAT equipment. If you go over to FM, GetDPI, or Camera Gear on Facebook most people just want Canon and Nikon stuff. This one one of the few places where I can list a Fujinon 150/6.3 and someone will know what it is.

Other than giving things away, "market value" is not something anyone can accurately gauge every time. Prices (since they are required!) are a guess based on best judgment at the time and are liable to change...but the point is no one sees the change unless they subscribe to the thread. I wonder how many do that?

Twice now I have posted items at what I consider ridiculous prices here (low), and they refused to sell, and then sold on eBay for 20-30% more...and then days/weeks later I was messaged with a firm offer for purchase here. I believe the problem was not the price but the (lack of) exposure. I don't remember weekly threads in the feedback forum about the Classifieds before the changes, nor do I remember obvious heavy moderation.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

*duplicate post*

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Value is determined by the selling price. Any consumer hardware over a year old and sold is devalued. Work it out.

Maybe you should shift to reselling used refrigerators.
    Yeah no sh*t. ONCE AGAIN: I BASE MY PRICES OFF OF PREVIOUS LISTINGS ON THIS WEBSITE AND CONSIDER THAT NUMBER FAIR MARKET VALUE. I am not trying to advocate for higher prices. But when you sell something for what it's worth, you often have to wait a while before a buyer comes along.

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension class because I never ever was trying to argue the point that I should be able to sell items at higher prices than what people are willing to pay for them.