Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Re: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Sal, you sorta knew what posts in this thread were likely to be about.

I don’t mind explaining things to new folks, individually or collectively (that isn’t the same as endless debate with those who won’t change their opinion no matter what—with those we just have to live with—respectful but quiet—disagreement). While this is a private forum, it’s still a member forum and we do take the feedback seriously. We’ve made many changes as a result of that.

We could be a bonsai tree and dwarf ourselves by cutting away anyone who disagrees with anything, or we could be a big tent with no focus, little sense of community, and lots of domineering personal attacks. I have experience with both of those forum extremes. I think we prefer something in between, recognizing that any robust community is heterogeneous but still centered around a common interest. But both extremes pull hard.

Rick “the common interest is large-format photography” Denney

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    All true. Well stated...
    A very perceptive comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ...Same could be said about Soapbox!
    Not true. First, there is no Soap Box at this forum. Second, the owner of the forum that does have a Soap Box spends virtually no time moderating it. That relief valve probably takes far less effort from the moderators there than policing political/religious rule-breaking posts absorbs here.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    ...I don’t mind explaining things to new folks, individually or collectively (that isn’t the same as endless debate with those who won’t change their opinion no matter what...
    Indeed it isn't the same. And the effort/time you expend -- at least publicly -- appears to be predominantly "debating" with "old" members who exhibit a sense of injured entitlement.

...with those we just have to live with—respectful but quiet—disagreement...
    You don't have to. You choose to. Your effort/time, your choice. Better you than me.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Seńora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Thanks for the correction. You are correct... the Soapbox is another forum, so no further discussion is warranted in this forum.

But at least the For Sale segment of this forum is clearly photography related!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...And the effort/time you expend -- at least publicly -- appears to be predominantly "debating" with "old" members who exhibit a sense of injured entitlement.
    Yes, sometimes, but with the knowledge that they aren't the only readers. And my latest post, from which you quoted, was in response to a well-reasoned post from a member who joined a little over a year ago, and that's why I explained it again.

Rick "not as old as you...oops, did I say that wrong?" Denney

...Rick "not as old as you...oops, did I say that wrong?" Denney
    Nope, you said that perfectly. In both senses of the word (length of membership here as well as chronological age). I embrace it.

I decided to check in on my bump of this post. Looks like pretty reasoned replies, as I hope my complaint was.

As far as content goes, for many years I was a primary poster of suggestions, solutions, praise, and my own LF shots. I did sell too, and I know many of the buyers of my lenses started in LF because of what I posted - both content and lens sales. This forum was an important part of my life for many years. I've made friends and have visited them in many different countries, and they've visited me. I've hosted wetplate workshops, and done demonstrations, and taught many others. I'd estimate 95-98% of my posts were not sales, something that cannot be said for other active seller "members" that predominately are here to sell. New members should look through my posts on the history of many lens types, or my guidance on wetplate photography, my two areas of expertise. People asked a question in my area, I would answer it. I even moderate another photography forum. I didn't need to bump my lenses, because I priced them so low they usually sold within 1 day, often within 1 hour. Long-term members remember those days. I know the LF world has changed too.

I miss those days, and the energy and engagement that we used to have. I was just complaining about what I see is excessive for sale rules. Maybe in those active years from 2016 back they were needed. We did have a lot of dealers and bumping daily (not by me). Perhaps those days are over, and it's time for a rethink was my only goal. I can sell my lens somewhere, but do like selling here, to bona fide LF photographers, not unknown bidders on auction sites.

Just saying....the threat to "ban the complainer" I hope wasn't directed at me.