Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

No comments, no bumping, can't modify a sale, can't post the same item for sale until 30(!) days have elapsed? Was there such a problem in the FS thread that these rules really needed to be implemented?

For example, I am trying to sell my Chamonix kit right now. I've had it for sale as an extensive kit for about a week, but I'm not getting any interest. It's been on page 2 for a while now, and I can't bump it to generate more interest. I might decide to part all the items out to maximise profit if I can't move all of it in one go. But now I have to wait 3 more weeks for that option? I'm sorry but that just seems so unnecessary. Fleabay drove lots of sellers away by having a bunch of draconian policies like these. Selling stuff online is not always as easy as posting and ad and waiting, you often need to make changes to the way something is presented, photographed, posted as a specific time, priced, and packaged. Now I have to wait a month between tries? This isn't the FM forum where seemingly hundreds of items are posted every day, I'm not sure we need these controls. If you want to make constructive improvements that's fine but I feel the recent change is overboard.

Re: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

What you have done here is make a bump for your sale. Not quite Kosher. imho

I saw your ad as many did.

Active buyers search back pages.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    What you have done here is make a bump for your sale. Not quite Kosher. imho
    Uh oh. We need another rule!

Welcome to the large format moderators forum where every other thread is about the moderators.

*Eye roll* I have to be able to talk about the issue I am experiencing to write this post. Also, my bigger point was that now that I know pretty much nobody on this site wants to buy my whole kit, I can't modify the post to make it more attractive outside of just lowering the price for everything which I'm not going to do.

As for bumping itself, what was so bad about it? People want to sell their equipment. If you're serious about moving something, no reason it shouldn't be brought to the top of the pile 1-2 times every week.

You might do what one seller here has succeeded to do. He posts what he is selling. Then reposts pictures later, then later still, he posts additional specifications on what he is selling. Sometimes he posts additional features again.

But he is not bumping and his product keeps getting reposted.

I thought lowering the price is allowed on a sale posting. Plus, if you break up the kit to sell items separately, you are not re-posting the same item for sale, so the 30 day restriction wouldn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    No comments, no bumping, can't modify a sale, can't post the same item for sale until 30(!) days have elapsed? Was there such a problem in the FS thread that these rules really needed to be implemented?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    For example, I am trying to sell my Chamonix kit right now. I've had it for sale as an extensive kit for about a week, but I'm not getting any interest. It's been on page 2 for a while now, and I can't bump it to generate more interest. I might decide to part all the items out to maximise profit if I can't move all of it in one go. But now I have to wait 3 more weeks for that option? I'm sorry but that just seems so unnecessary. Fleabay drove lots of sellers away by having a bunch of draconian policies like these. Selling stuff online is not always as easy as posting and ad and waiting, you often need to make changes to the way something is presented, photographed, posted as a specific time, priced, and packaged. Now I have to wait a month between tries? This isn't the FM forum where seemingly hundreds of items are posted every day, I'm not sure we need these controls. If you want to make constructive improvements that's fine but I feel the recent change is overboard.
    You can supplement your original post at any time, changing price, terms, or whatever you wish. The display order in the primary index, however, remains based on the original post date.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I thought lowering the price is allowed on a sale posting. Plus, if you break up the kit to sell items separately, you are not re-posting the same item for sale, so the 30 day restriction wouldn't apply.
    Nope, that won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Yes.

You can supplement your original post at any time, changing price, terms, or whatever you wish. The display order in the primary index, however, remains based on the original post date.
    Good to know, I'll make the necessary changes to my post as soon as I can. Still wish when I did so that it got a bump.