Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private Message Settings

Private Message Settings

Current (as of 19 Sep 2016) settings for Private Messages for Registered Users are: 200 maximum messages, with a limit of 2,000 characters/message. This was set a few months ago in response to issues with the previous settings of 100 message max, and 3,000 chars/message. This is as high as we can go with the current server configuration without risking problems with the size of the database partition, and changing the server configuration is not an option at this time. (We operate on donated resources, both in terms of the server, and the bandwidth used by the forum.)

Although PMs can be downloaded to one's PC and deleted from the LFPF server, the resulting format of the downloaded text is not particularly convenient for offline management. Persons for whom the 200 message maximum is not convenient may wish to enable e-mail communications from other members (that is turned off by default, but can be changed in their individual profile), and redirect conversations to e-mail after an initial PM contact. This would allow you to manage conversations within your chosen e-mail application.

To enable e-mail from other members, click on the "Settings" link at the upper-right of the forum display, then "General Settings" under the "My Account" section of the "My Settings" area in the menu on the left. There, you will see the "Messaging & Notification" area where the desired boxes can be checked.

If you don't already use a special e-mail account for forum activity, you may wish to consider doing so. You can change the e-mail address that is used in conjunction with the LFPF via the same "Settings" link, and the "Edit Email & Password" menu item. If you change your e-mail address from that with which you registered, please do so carefully. If something goes awry, however, you can always use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of all forum pages to contact the moderator team to request assistance.

Re: Private Message Settings

Awesome! Thank you.

Nice to see that this site values forum members feedback!

Okay. I get it. Thanks, Oren and Ralph!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

good to know. thanks!

PM message size limitations

I just spent 30+ minutes dividing up a well-written and though-out reply to a question from a fellow forum member into four separate messages so I could fit them all into the 2000 character size limit for individual messages.

Isn't there any way to increase that limit on message size? It doesn't really keep our messages to each other short or save storage space (heck, there a limits on the number of messages that collect in the mailboxes anyway); we just have to divide longer messages up and send them in installments.

I realize that 2000 characters may seem like a lot, but I've often run into this problem, both sending and receiving. Even Twitter doubled their original character limit

How about it? Can we increase the size of those personal messages to a more convenient one?

Best,

Doremus

Re: PM message size limitations

I also HAD problems

Considering LFPF very occasional blackouts, I always move to personal email ASAP

I've merged this with the relevant prior discussion so that we can recall where the current settings came from - see Ralph's post at the top. There's always a tradeoff.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Brevity is often a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Brevity is often a blessing.
    Yes, I know - guilty as charged. But I didn't have time to write a shorter response

Still, unless there's some technical reason that the limit can't be increased, there's no advantage to having it since we just send our complete messages in installments. It just makes it less convenient to give a detailed and complete answer to a query. I think we should try to facilitate that if possible.

Best,

Doremus