Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 or 11x14

Re: 8x10 or 11x14

sorry for the delay chaps but I've been out running errands all day! I have shot with 4x5 before and really enjoyed the experience, it was very calming and i feel the photo turned out great before i misplaced the negative...
    to help narrow down id be hiking a few miles tops from the vehicle to get a good location, longer tracks would probably have a friend with me to haul camping gear and extend the trip.
    And yes it is a little crazy to even consider going from a few tries with 4x5 to considering 11x14, but given everyones explantations in terms of lens choices and bellows vs. wind. I may just get a nice Shen-Hao, Toyo or Canham set up unless i find a steal of a deal with 8x10. especially considering i enjoy architectural and landscapes with some more confined spaces in the mix.
    I know id definitely prefer a metal camera since i will be out in the elements a lot most likely but if i find a good teak camera i'll snatch it up, thanks for the info so far!

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1996 View Post
    ... i enjoy architectural and landscapes with some more confined spaces in the mix.
    If you do architecture, you definitely want significant movements (which require large lens image circles).
    Finding 8x10 or larger camera systems with those features would be a real challenge.

Landscapes are at the other end of the requirements scale unless you're shooting Mt McKinley from the base.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

4x5 to start and you may find it's all you need and are happy with. As pointed out previously, 4x5 enlargers are easy to find whereas 8x10 beasts can be found if you keep your eyes peeled. but that's rare and usually involve driving to seller to break down and pick up.

I use 4x5 and 8x10 but currently giving the larger format a workout since I'm using Impossible Project 8x10 film. Unless you're making very large prints, I don't believe you'll see *much* difference between 4x5 and 8x10. as usual ymmv
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    You mean I really have to haul 50+ pounds of stuff?

i have / use a 11x14, not even close to 50lbs.
    the camera on the centennial stand ... maybe,
    but the portable one ... nope.

Let's do a thought experiment. Say you decide to buy a high-quality camera and a few good lenses with plenty of movements, if possible.

11x14:

Chamonix 11x14 - $4250 (new), maybe less if you can find a used one, but that's doubtful
    4 film holders - $600 maybe, just a guess
    Nikkor 450mm f/9 normal lens - $650
    Computar 305mm f/9 wide-angle - $1000, if you can find one at a decent price in a shutter
    Artar or similar 24" lens - $1000, in shutter
    25-50 sheets of film - $500+ depending on new or secondhand deals, just a guess
    ------------------
    $8000+ and you will be burning a lot of cash on film as time goes on.

How about 8x10?

Chamonix 8x10 - $3200 (new), around $2500 used, and they do come up for sale on occasion here. There's also a lot of options on the second-hand market, down to even $500 or less for an old Korona or similar, which are still good cameras.
    4 film holders - $200 used
    Schneider Symmar-S or similar 300mm f/5.6 normal lens - $300 or cheaper and easy to find
    Graphic Kowa 210mm f/9 wide-angle - $450 or so
    Nikkor 450mm f/9 - $650
    50 sheets of film - $250 or so for FP4+ straight from B&H, and you don't have to wait for a once-a-year run or try finding secondhand
    ------------------
    $4500 max and if you go with a cheaper used 8x10 perhaps as low as $2500 for the whole kit.

Now assuming you are digitizing your negatives and are an expert at that already, your typical $500-1000 scanners can't fit an 11x14. So now you need to spend lots of money on outsourcing scans or maybe get a high-end flatbed and spend another $1000-2000 outfitting that, if you are lucky.

Just running some numbers for fun. I almost bought an 11x14 camera a long time ago. It was pretty inexpensive as 11x14 cameras go, but I didn't. I'm glad I didn't and when I found a 8x10 for peanuts it was fun to jump into a bigger format. 4x5 is still the bread-and-butter of my LF passion. I personally do not find it lacking, and I've made some pretty big prints - as big as I can reasonably make and mount without spending a fortune on presentation. A 36-inch wide print from a well-done 4x5 negative has detail even with your nose pressed onto the print. I wouldn't hesitate to go bigger - though I also have an excellent scanner which makes pulling that kind of resolution off a negative easier.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It's only money and not that much.

Still less than the average car.

Less than a full on, latest DSLR rig.

Way less than MF Digi.

But I doubt any of this is really what OP wants. In his first post here he stated big prints are the goal. I think as big as sheets of plywood.

Even Clyde Butcher seldom prints that. Hasn't he gone DSLR?

Jesse, where you going to put all those huge prints?

I sure hope and wish you have a great plan. I mean that. Good luck!
    Tin Can

What people do with their money is not my problem, but if one is "saving" for a camera purchase, it stands to reason that a much cheaper option that is affordable much sooner would allow for more actual photography. That would be my reasoning.

Clyde is using a Sony A7 of some stripe, maybe the 42mp A7iir? It's amazing how cheap such a camera is - just $3200 new, so the same price as a Chamonix 8x10! He has the Canon 17mm TS-E ($2200) I believe.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Addendum.

Go to any Mall, high end is best. Study the huge images on the walls. All digital. I was amazed today at the plywood sized soft focus images at a cosmetics store. Dreamy, get lost in the depth and looked great from a foot away.

That's the competition, not Clyde. I like Clyde!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Way less than MF Digi.
    The current top-of-the-line Hasselblad is $46,000 without a lens.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Yep and I would love one.

Yesterday a guy told me and he was very serious that a Pro Chicago catalog outfit now used 3 Red video cams for their still work. Meanwhile 4 guys were trying to operate the latest Drone, but it was FCC restricted and couldn't do much off my roof.

http://www.red.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The current top-of-the-line Hasselblad is $46,000 without a lens.

- Leigh
    Tin Can