Re: New Guidelines Posted

thanks !

===

i am sorry to ask this
    but i am guessing others
    might be wondering too ...
    will the thread/s that was/were deleted
    because of political content be re-animated
    to run its/their course ? or will they be left as-is ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am sorry to ask this
    but i am guessing others
    might be wondering too ...
    will the thread/s that was/were deleted
    because of political content be re-animated
    to run its/their course ? or will they be left as-is ...
    We are still working on that one. But sometimes it's just better to reboot those threads rather than trying to fix them.

While we discuss it, I would recommend that anyone who feels that a thread they started that is consistent with the guidelines but that was closed inconsistently with the current announcement should repost the thread.

But be easy on us. Lots of work travel for two of us this week.

Rick "on a coast-to-coast itinerary starting tomorrow" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    You are to be commended.
    plus 1

Kudos to the moderators! I'm not a frequent poster but I read this forum quite often and I was a bit worried where this all is going.

The new plan seems well thought out. Life always needs a little "gray area", as much as I advocated for a "black and white" solution. I do commend you moderators for being flexible and change oriented. So many situations in life have rules that no one can really remember the need for. "We've always done it that way..." is the type of comment that usually gets me going, and I'm glad we don't think like that here.

Another area that might be reconsidered is the way the For Sale items cannot be bumped, to come to the top of the section. That seems so black and white, and was set up to stop abusers, but the new system is really hard to get anything sold. A once a month or every 2 weeks bump should be allowed. Otherwise, your for sale item is pages deep within 2 weeks, and never seen. I guess I need to read how often I can repost a for sale, but that's pretty much "bumping", but a lot harder.

(Shrek)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    The new plan seems well thought out. Life always needs a little "gray area", as much as I advocated for a "black and white" solution. I do commend you moderators for being flexible and change oriented. So many situations in life have rules that no one can really remember the need for. "We've always done it that way..." is the type of comment that usually gets me going, and I'm glad we don't think like that here.

Another area that might be reconsidered is the way the For Sale items cannot be bumped, to come to the top of the section. That seems so black and white, and was set up to stop abusers, but the new system is really hard to get anything sold. A once a month or every 2 weeks bump should be allowed. Otherwise, your for sale item is pages deep within 2 weeks, and never seen. I guess I need to read how often I can repost a for sale, but that's pretty much "bumping", but a lot harder.
    You can re-post an unsold item after 30 days, and close the original thread.

For the main forum displays, posts in the buy-sell sub-forums are ordered by the original post date. The forum software doesn't provide any further granularity - it's either original post date, or thread activity. Subsequent posts by the OP will, however, "bump" the thread in certain pre-configured searches that are activity oriented. Based on logs, however, it appears only a small percentage of members use those searches to view forum activity. So, for the most part, the original post date controls the display order for most viewers. How many posts appear on one page of display is controlled by each individual member's profile, and can be changed within their account settings. The default is 20, but that can be changed to whatever is convenient for the individual.

The changes we have made are intended to shift the administrative activity from the buy-sell fora, where the buy-sell tail was wagging the forum dog, back to the main discussion fora. Although the buy-sell fora are an important part of the overall forum, they are secondary to our primary mission - discussion of LF topics.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Edit: I actually started typing this message before Ralph did, but I'll bet he didn't participate in two conference calls and answer half a dozen work emails while that reply window was open like I did.

It's 30 days before closing an old sales listing and posting a new listing.

Let's let the current changes soak in fully before reviewing whether we need changes.

Just for food for thought, though: If we have about 250 listings a month (I'm just estimating by scanning over the last month--Oren has been keeping more precise statistics), then a month's worth of listings will take ten pages. If all of them are bumped once in that period, then those same 250 listings will still take ten pages, but they will be ordered by date of latest bump rather than date of original posting. It's like an unruly press conference: 250 people in a small room shouting "Me! me! me!", all at the same time. I much prefer the classified-ad model. What our sales forum brings to the table is a friend-to-friend trust relationship, which is why prices can be lower (and why sellers don't mind the lower price--they have less risk).

I have routinely looked through far more than 250 listings in any given category in ebay, if I was just trolling for great deals. (Searching leads me to something specific I'm looking for, no matter when it was put on offer.) Looking through ten pages of thread titles takes no more time for any given number of items, and ten pages only takes a few minutes. But if I want to be visible for deal-trollers, I would pay very close attention to the title of my listing. That's what gets seen.

Rick "thinking out loud" Denney

thanks for the new updates.

re the For sale area, I agree one step at a time. There has been some good discussion about what might be done there so I hope you all have good notes.
    I'd also suggest when those revisions go up to point out the 'search' feature for searching the for sale area.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    (Searching leads me to something specific I'm looking for, no matter when it was put on offer.) Looking through ten pages of thread titles takes no more time for any given number of items, and ten pages only takes a few minutes.
    n
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    . . . Just for food for thought, though: If we have about 250 listings a month (I'm just estimating by scanning over the last month--Oren has been keeping more precise statistics), then a month's worth of listings will take ten pages. . . .
    And, if you changed your profile setting from the default of 20 messages per page to 250, there would be only 1 page to look through.