Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copal 0 Shutter Change

Copal 0 Shutter Change

Hello everybody,
    is it possible to change a not working copal 0 from a rodenstock 45mm lens with a working copal 0 from a rodenstock 75mm lens? Both have the 4.5 aperture scale.

Thank you very much.

Holger

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Re: Copal 0 Shutter Change

In my case, a 75Grandagon out of Copal 1 didn't want to fit into a Copal 1 from a 150mm Symmar - I had to build off a plastic ring, then it worked.
    Threads have been the same, but measuring the total length of the lens seems to be a good idea to me.
    From old Compurs I know about different barrel lengths in spite of identical threads, maybe the same with Copals?..

Aperture scale is another thing,f 4,5 says nothing, except both lenses have the same front diameter (Eintrittspupille).

The simple math behind is:
    focal length divided through diameter gives the number of wide opening, or with a look onto your lenses, multiplying the 4,5 with the (unknown XX) diameter gives the focal lengths.
    In both cases, the diameter of the aparture could be different, because 4,5 is just a product of a math task.

Ritchie

Yes, except that you may need or not need spacers to obtain optimal performance. The shorter the focal length the more critical spacing becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    In my case, a 75Grandagon out of Copal 1 didn't want to fit into a Copal 1 from a 150mm Symmar - I had to build off a plastic ring, then it worked.
    Threads have been the same, but measuring the total length of the lens seems to be a good idea to me.
    From old Compurs I know about different barrel lengths in spite of identical threads, maybe the same with Copals?..

Aperture scale is another thing,f 4,5 says nothing, except both lenses have the same front diameter (Eintrittspupille).

The simple math behind is:
    focal length divided through diameter gives the number of wide opening, or with a look onto your lenses, multiplying the 4,5 with the (unknown XX) diameter gives the focal lengths.
    In both cases, the diameter of the aparture could be different, because 4,5 is just a product of a math task.

Ritchie
    Why would it have been in a 1 size shutter? They come in 0 thread shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by holgerjacob View Post
    Hello everybody,
    is it possible to change a not working copal 0 from a rodenstock 45mm lens with a working copal 0 from a rodenstock 75mm lens? Both have the 4.5 aperture scale.

Thank you very much.

Holger
    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Sure, except the focal lengths are different so the aperture scales will be off, and the spacing will be different, so the focus may be off, plus the threads may also be different, but other than that, sure! That's why SKG makes the big bucks. He's probably remounted some 10 or so lenses for me.

About spacing. Compur/Copal/Prontor #00 (with exceptions), #0 and #1 shutters were made to fairly tight tolerances and comform to the Compur/Copal/Prontor standards for those sizes. Lens makers knew those standards and their products' mechanical designs incorporated them.

Why do people (see post #5 above) keep on repeating canards to the effect that these shutters aren't interchangeable?

And why do people go on about lenses (I get the impression they mean all of them) need to have cell spacing adjusted with shims for best performance? I've asked posters here how many of their lenses came with cell spacing adjusted by shims. Very, very few.

Luis, I've spent a fair amount of money with SKGrimes having shutters scaled for lenses. I've had one 38/4.5 Biogon that I extracted from an AGI F.135 aerial camera reworked to fit a #0. I've had a standard #00 adapted to accept cells from a 65/8 Ilex that I received in an electric Ilex #I don't know what that was threaded like a standard #00 but had a shorter tube. I've never got a lens in a #0 or #1 shutter or barrel that needed any work except a new aperture scale to be used in another shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    About spacing. Compur/Copal/Prontor #00 (with exceptions), #0 and #1 shutters were made to fairly tight tolerances and comform to the Compur/Copal/Prontor standards for those sizes. Lens makers knew those standards and their products' mechanical designs incorporated them.

Why do people (see post #5 above) keep on repeating canards to the effect that these shutters aren't interchangeable?

And why do people go on about lenses (I get the impression they mean all of them) need to have cell spacing adjusted with shims for best performance? I've asked posters here how many of their lenses came with cell spacing adjusted by shims. Very, very few.

Luis, I've spent a fair amount of money with SKGrimes having shutters scaled for lenses. I've had one 38/4.5 Biogon that I extracted from an AGI F.135 aerial camera reworked to fit a #0. I've had a standard #00 adapted to accept cells from a 65/8 Ilex that I received in an electric Ilex #I don't know what that was threaded like a standard #00 but had a shorter tube. I've never got a lens in a #0 or #1 shutter or barrel that needed any work except a new aperture scale to be used in another shutter.
    Dan,you may have asked some users but I have sold far more new Rodenstock, Schneider and Nikon lenses then you have handled and have seen many that used shims. There is a very good possibility, considering the dimensions of the shims that some users may have them and not realized that those thin shiny washers are shims. Sometimes the shims even stay on the threads and not fall off as well.

double post..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why would it have been in a 1 size shutter? They come in 0 thread shutters.
    Sorry, Bob, my mistake.
    Copal 0 is right.
    Ritchie

Bob, that's very interesting. Why did you detach all those lenses' cells from their shutters?