Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on E6 kits

Re: Questions on E6 kits

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    E6 and C41 cost the same to buy and to develop, so I prefer to shoot chrome for the relatively rare times I really want color. Right now that means Velvia 50 in a roll film holder, but I'd like to go back to sheet film (which will be Velvia 100, since it is significantly cheaper than the 50).

I don't plan to re-use chemistry. From what I have read it only lasts a week once mixed (I've never developed color). If I buy a 5 liter kit, can I use it 500ml at a time. Does the remainder have a shelf life?
    I'm not sure what the Fuji/Hunt E6 shelf life is of the stock ( undiluted ) chemicals are and how well they
    stand up to time past the expiration, but two of the components of old Kodak E6 kits, I'll have to look
    when I get home, tend to form hard crystals that defy any attempts to re-dissove them back into solution.
    With the Kodak kits this happens even with factory sealed kits as well as partially used kits, developing with the
    chems seems fine.
    Last edited by Jim C.; 16-Sep-2016 at 16:24. Reason: grammar and spelling

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Questions on E6 kits

For a visual guide to determining whether or not a particular chemical component is still viable, see Table 2-3 on this Kodak pub: http://125px.com/docs/techpubs/kodak/z119-2.pdf. This should apply to the Fuji kit. Hope this helps.

Thomas

Exclamation Re: Questions on E6 kits

I bought a boatload of FUJI PRO 6 chemistry several years ago (the gold standard of E-6) and only ever developed twice.

It cost around $640, but was magic to see my own amazing chromes developed with no one's help but my own! It was not a good move financially.

I did have a mishap on the first go, where I think the film came out clear, or maybe it was all black, but the next time I tried, it rivaled (or more likely was _as_good_as ) the best E-6 developing I've seen.

But it was a real p̶a̶i̶n̶-̶i̶n̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶a̶s̶s̶ challenge to do right. Lots of baths, lots of timing to be right-on about, and it takes longer than C-41 or B&W.

That's not to mention all the mixing to get right and math involved to mix smaller amounts, and clean up and storage.

I didn't bother replenishing due to the large amount of chemistry I had.

C-41 is MUCH easier. I think you can develop E-6 in C-41 chemistry, though you won't get chromes. I stocked up on Astia and now it's very difficult to find a quality E-6 line.

Unfortunately, my lab, LTI in New York, ceased its E-6 line a few months ago . I haven't found anyone who does it as well yet.

I had a Fuji-Hunt C-41 kit several years back which was quite good, but I like and think Kodak Flexicolor C-41 chemistry is better, and is cheaper.

With regard to the Fuji-Hunt E-6 kit, I'm not sure how many baths it is, but if it's only 3, it may not be up to snuff with professional standards; though it may be a much easier process to do at home.