Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Schneider XL input

Drew Wiley

Re: Help! Schneider XL input

Will the front standard on that lightweight field camera even realistically support the weight of a huge lens without risking vibration or compromising acute focus?
    I'm not kidding.

The 80mm is a jewel. Tiny, huge image circle, incredibly sharp. The end of the line for large format lens design. The 90 and the 72 are great, but huge. Unless you are doing extreme architecture, you will never use all the movements the 80mm allows. Plus it uses 67mm filters.

Drew Wiley

Depends on the look you want; or in the case of a commercial architectural shot, whether falloff is even acceptable by professional repro standards. Chromes
    aren't the only problem film. Some color neg films will show a color shift toward the corners due to placement lower on the dye sensitivity curve. Center filters
    add cost and weight, esp if you need an 82mm version or bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    If any XL users have had a different experience, now would be a good time to chime in!
    Here is the shot that convinced me to buy a CF for my 80XL.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake_charles_2_001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	155015
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

This shot also suffers from the 80XL's fall off.

Name:	moria001_2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	155016
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    Here is the shot that convinced me to buy a CF for my 80XL.

Name:	lake_charles_2_001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	155015
    In this very case, I'm afraid the presence of the falloff in your picture is not necessarily a sign of centre filter necessity. If you did not know that in your picture the light in the landscape was uniform you could easily suppose that a simple hole in cloud cover is responsible for the light distribution in the picture. And it certainly has its appeal too.

On my wall I have a panoramic picture of vast landscape where the edges of it are visibly darkened. Once an amateur photographer sawing the picture said - you needed to use a centre filter for this picture! I told him that the difference in the light was entirely natural and made by quickly moving cloud cover. The cloud cover is clearly visible in the picture - only a predetermined mind would think that such cloud cover needs to allow for uniform illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by seandavid View Post
    Thanks, Peter. That's helpful. If I can find a clean 80XL, it sounds like a great lens.
    Hi Sean,

the Schneider SA XL range are all incredible lenses. I've used most of them for work although the 47mm XL and the 90mm XL remain my favourites.

Bob's point about the centre filter is really valid for critical imaging and lighting control; you may just about get away without using one for the 80mm XL, since it's possible to do without for the 90mm XL on slide film. But it's much easier with a 90mm. Filter size isn't a reason for a photographer to limit his perspective and choice for a lens for large format surely?

Here is an example on the 47mm XL shot on a Silvestri 5"x4" with IIIc corrected centre filter (minus two stops). I really do not like 5"x4" and hence the 4"x4" thumbnail:

https://flic.kr/p/McrE4p

https://flic.kr/p/McryZB

And without the centre filter:

https://flic.kr/p/M2CMky

Good luck!

Kind regards

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by RJ- View Post
    Hi Sean,

the Schneider SA XL range are all incredible lenses. I've used most of them for work although the 47mm XL and the 90mm XL remain my favourites.

Bob's point about the centre filter is really valid for critical imaging and lighting control; you may just about get away without using one for the 80mm XL, since it's possible to do without for the 90mm XL on slide film. But it's much easier with a 90mm. Filter size isn't a reason for a photographer to limit his perspective and choice for a lens for large format surely?

Here is an example on the 47mm XL shot on a Silvestri 5"x4" with IIIc corrected centre filter (minus two stops). I really do not like 5"x4" and hence the 4"x4" thumbnail:

https://flic.kr/p/McrE4p

https://flic.kr/p/McryZB

And without the centre filter:

https://flic.kr/p/M2CMky

Good luck!

Kind regards

RJ
    This is my hometown Hong Kong!

About center filters - if we use a relatively low contrast film, falloff is easier to deal with, and I think for LF most of use such film.

And when starting to establish exposure with a center filter, begin with 1.5 stops of compensation and don't be surprised if you need 2.5 stops, then stop down at least two stops from wide open in order to make the filter work properly. It's physics. I loaned a w/a with center filter to a fellow who could see no improvement. He had shot it at maximum aperture, thus no significant effect.

As to which lens, well it's difficult to find a poor modern lens for LF. I have never been disappointed with Rodenstock in any way whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by seandavid View Post
    Luis,

I'd be using my Chamonix (with universal bellows) 045F1 with this. I guess I'd want something in the 80-90mm range in order to not have to change my bellows?
    With 4x5 you don't need an XL lens. I'd get the regular Schneider SA or the Rodenstock Grandagon and be done with it. It will be a whole lot cheaper and readily available, much smaller in size, you won't need a center filter and neither you nor anyone else will be able to tell the difference in an image between the two. I have 90 XL and I've not used it for some 15 years, and then only used it for architectural interiors. Never used a center filter with it. If I needed something that wide today, I'd probably use a WA Dagor, but I shoot very little 4x5 these days, mostly 8x10.