Thread: Fix for stiff rear swing movement on a Chamonix view camera.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fix for stiff rear swing movement on a Chamonix view camera.

The rear swing movement on my Chamonix Whole Plate has always been a bit on the stiff side. Finally yesterday it became really stiff when opening up the folded camera. On either side of the bottom of the rear standard are hinges almost looking like extended dovetail fittings with bolts going through them. Removed the bolts and was going to separate the back from the base, but the fittings were really sticking together tightly from a lot of internal surface to surface friction. Was going to try to apply some dry graphite lubricant but hesitated cause I didn't want to separate the "hinges" to apply the powder. So instead applied some WD-40 liberally to the hinges and swung the back standard back and forth a few times. Worked like a charm, rear swing now operates just like it did when I first received the camera. My guess is that if a lubricant was initially applied to the hinge, it had evaporated with use and age. Will be doing this every now and then on both of my Chamonixes as a very simple preventative maintenance.

Re: Fix for stiff rear swing movement on a Chamonix view camera.

WD-40 is not a lubricant and over time will have the opposite effect. Now that the hinges are moving freely, you should add either grease or other lubricant. Silicone lubricants may affect the finish, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    WD-40 is not a lubricant and over time will have the opposite effect. Now that the hinges are moving freely, you should add either grease or other lubricant. Silicone lubricants may affect the finish, so I wouldn't recommend them.
    Thanks.... Now that the rear standard is moving freely will ask a machinist friend for some high grade oil to apply to the hinge.

A good general grease for moving camera metal + plastic parts is called "Super Lube" synthetic grease, that is clear silicone/teflon based, and vanishes when rubbed on sliding surfaces, and stays where you put it, water/temp resistant, clean to the touch, lasts, non-reactive, and safe on most all finishes... Can be obtained at most good hardware stores, and I even found some at Harbor Fright for about $5 a 3oz/85gm tube... A tiny bit goes a long way, so a little dab will do 'ya...

Steve K