Thread: Calibrating a Graphic top-mounted rangefinder

Calibrating a Graphic top-mounted rangefinder

I was trying to calibrate the top mounted rangefinder on my crown graphic and I messed up somewhere. I tried to follow these directions: https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/cams/index.html and but now the second image doesn't move correctly (it hardly moves at all). All that I think I did was loosen the nut and then maybe bump the mirror accidentally. I tried to reposition the mirror and tighten the nut back up but now the second image doesn't move. I should have left well enough alone, but does anyone have any idea what I messed up?

Thanks!

Re: Calibrating a Graphic top-mounted rangefinder

One of the fail points of these old rangefinders is the half-silvered mirror.
    If you identify that as a fault, then see Edmunds Optics for a replacement.
    You will not find an exact length x width part, but cutting one to fit is easy.
    Ask if you have to go there, and good luck!

Jac

Open the camera to it's normal opened shooting position, then look at the linkages that start on the focusing bed that go up through the camera to the top RF unit... Move the focus back and forth and look at ALL the linkages starting at the bed and up through the camera... As you turn the focus (or use your finger to push the pivoting parts or linkages a little), that will cause the the mirror to rotate a little... Make sure that ALL linkages respond to the focusing action... One (or something) might be binding somewhere or maybe a linkage might have been a little bent, or something you loosened was re-tightened that's now binding, so go through everything with your sleuth hat on, and see what you find... (Later you can calibrate the RF after you find what's hanging up...)

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Follow Steve's suggestions. The actual service manual may be a big help with the exploded diagrams and Graflex's instructions on alignment.
    It can be found here:
    http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...vicemanual.pdf

Thanks a lot! I'll start looking again.

I fixed it, but wow that was a little exercise in frustration. I hadn't tightened the nut enough so the mirror wasn't moving. However every time I tightened the nut the mirror moved slightly so it was very frustrating to get everything aligned. Anyone have any tips to avoid this circle of tightening and loosening and aligning the mirror in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokiEE View Post
    Anyone have any tips to avoid this circle of tightening and loosening and aligning the mirror in the future?
    Experience!

Congrats! After a few dozen, you'll know how... Then you can tell us!

Seriously, for me it really does come down to experience. You know it's going to move so you anticipate it by over-adjusting. As long as you don't get frustrated, it's like a game and fun. If you get it set right anyway...

Good luck on your next one!

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    Experience!

Congrats! After a few dozen, you'll know how... Then you can tell us!

Seriously, for me it really does come down to experience. You know it's going to move so you anticipate it by over-adjusting. As long as you don't get frustrated, it's like a game and fun. If you get it set right anyway...

Good luck on your next one!
    Thanks!

This made me laugh, because over adjusting the mirror was how I eventually aligned the rangefinder (I only wish someone had told me before I adjusted it numerous times and was close to pulling what's left of my hair out). This was probably the ideal camera to start tinkering with since it isn't that complicated (frustrating, but not complicated).