Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to convert Berlebach tripod from 1/4 to 3/8 (for Sinar equipment)

Re: Best way to convert Berlebach tripod from 1/4 to 3/8 (for Sinar equipment)

The mat board is strong enough?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Ron789 View Post
    is the (round) base plate of your Berlebach tripod the same size as the (round) base of the Sinar?
    I'm not sure of the one pictured, but on one of my heads those three fasteners are hex-heads that can be firmly snugged against a head that has recesses. They are accessible from the underside.

Attachment 154657

Or if all else looks unclear, making a thicker wood or metal disc that fits between head and mtg plate, that might be drilled a little off-center so that the head is secured to the disc with a bolt, and the disc attaches to the mounting plate bolt with a tapped hole (for a metal disc or square, triangle, etc), or for wood, a T-nut in the wood that will hold the center bolt... That would do, and be very strong...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The mat board is strong enough?
    As long as the difference between the 2 diameters is small (just a few mm) it's good enough. It wears, but then I simply cut a new one.
    Should the difference in diameter be larger then a metal disk would obviously be better, just like LabRat explained.

I took the precaution of emailing Berlebach to ask their advice and they have pointed me to this:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english
    Everything should be tried once, except incest and folk dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I'm not sure of the one pictured, but on one of my heads those three fasteners are hex-heads that can be firmly snugged against a head that has recesses. They are accessible from the underside.

Attachment 154657
    The recess is too deep and/or the fasteners are too short; they fall out before they engage with the head. And it's more cumbersome than the mat board.

It turns out the Sinar pan tilt head also has a 1/4 screw. I've ordered a few bushings for now.

It's funny as the only time I have ever come across equipment using 1/4 was an old Kiev MF camera I had. I did not think there was that much use for 1/4 everything else of mine has been 3/8.
    Everything should be tried once, except incest and folk dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by lharby View Post
    It turns out the Sinar pan tilt head also has a 1/4 screw. I've ordered a few bushings for now.
    Really? Mine has 3/8 threads. I threw away the 1/4/20 adaptor that the guy I bought it from had put in it. L

Quote Originally Posted by lharby View Post
    It's funny as the only time I have ever come across equipment using 1/4 was an old Kiev MF camera
    Clearly you have not come about some Deardorff nor Linhof LF cameras, but you might eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Clearly you have not come about some Deardorff nor Linhof LF cameras, but you might eventually.
    My Linhof Master Technika 3000 uses 3/8-16 threads. Of course that's a sample size of one.
    David