Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What typewriter did Ansel Adams use? Weston?

Re: What typewriter did Ansel Adams use? Weston?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Ahhh, outstanding. Found a smaller image of it on Google. Do you know here I might find a large image? I can identify the typewriter from the Google image but I'd love to be able to read the text....

--Darin
    Darin, the text is the beginning of Chapter Seven of California and the West.

"August twenty-fourth we were back at Tenaya, pitching our tent ..............................................................................................................." The only change from the typed manuscript is the substitution of comas for parentheses in the final draft.

This one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	still-life-with-typewriter.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	154650
    http://raymondparkerphoto.com
    Hmmm.....maybe not
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks for all the help so far. I did make a little progress on my own. In the 1958 documentary on Ansel they do briefly show his typewriter. It is an IBM Model 11C (I think). A partial picture attached. (Have one to sell? Contact me...)

In addition in an oral history recorded in the 1970s he mentions having an IBM (probably a Selectric, he doesn't say). Finally, in the Mary Street Alinder bio (which is excellent, by the way) she talks about convincing him to *not* use his typewriter but to use an early IBM word processor instead during the writing of his autobiography. There is a picture of Ansel Jim Alinder shot showing Ansel seated in front of an early word processor (green text on black screen).

On the other hand there is mention of him using a "small typewriter" and a "portable" typewriter, which cannot possibly be the IBMs.

Have any more info? I'd love to hear it....

--Darin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansel Adams Typewriter from 1958 documentary.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	154656

Do or do not. There is no try.

Somewhere I have a (typed, of course) letter from Ansel sent in the early 1980s. It was most definitely not typed on a Selectric, there are way too many imperfections in the letter impressions.

From p210 of Ansel Adams - An Autobiography "She [Mary] encouraged the purchase of an IBM Display-writer ......."
    regards
    Tony

Why am I thinking that back a dozen years or so, an Ansel Adams Gallery on Cannery Row in Monterey had a display of some of Ansel's tools---a couple of cameras and a typewriter.
    I could be wrong about this, but Mike Adams could probably tell you what typewriters he remembers his dad using. You may be able to send him a query via the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley. John Sexton may also know.
    Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White