Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Cool! Love the faint mountain on the right horizon. One early spring, decades ago (1977), to get to work I had to walk along the rim in the snow, with the sun rising as I walked. Never saw anyone else. Tough life sometimes...
    That must have been terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by 6X17 Shooter View Post
    That must have been terrible.
    I had just started working there and I started to photograph while there (Rolleiflex and an employee darkroom) -- but it had not dawned on me yet (pun intended) to take my camera with me on the walk to work. Mostly interested in what I was seeing, and in getting to the gas station by 5:30 so I could get it open for customers by 6.

But here is my first photo printed there -- self-portrait and a quick careful run out to the edge using the Rollei's 10-second timer. I was 23 -- of course one of my first photos would be a selfie!! My parents displayed this for a few decades, refusing my offers to reprint it. I found a perfect copy recently from the same time...but it probably would look like this after a couple of decades in a cheap frame. 8x10 RC print. I have some poorly-kept Ektachrome slides from then too, somewhere around here.

Edited: A year or so later in a photo class, I would use the clouds from this image in a portrait of a friend in the snow in Yosemite National Park (Upper Cathedral Lake). I worked at the Grand Canyon for 4.5 months...one learned where to go to escape the tourists.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First PrintedPhoto.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I had just started working there and started to photograph while there (Rolleiflex and an employee darkroom) -- but it had not dawned on me yet (pun intended) to take my camera with me on the walk to work. Mostly interested in what I was seeing, and in getting to the gas station by 5:30 so I could get it open for customers by 6.

But here is my first photo printed there -- self-portrait and a quick careful run out to the edge using the Rollei's 10-second timer. My parents displayed this for a few decades, refusing my offers to reprint it. I found a perfect copy recently from the same time...but it probably would look like this after a couple of decades in a cheap frame. I have some poorly-kept Ektachrome slides from then too, somewhere around here.
    That's pretty cool. I could only imagine seeing that scenery in all its splendor day after day. Lucky you.

... My parents displayed this for a few decades, refusing my offers to reprint it...
    And I can see why... Ones soul connects with motifs and expressions that go far beyond equipment, zone system, process and technical perfection...

Oh, here is where the selfies are

Good one!
    Tin Can

rayograph

Vertebrae
    1/2021
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BXNR6593.jpg  

Tin Can

Out for a little hike along the river between rains. Its up a bit, but not close flood stage.
    Felt good to get out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MadFeb15.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Tin Can

Out for a little hike along the river between rains. Its up a bit, but not close flood stage.
    Felt good to get out!
    Vaughn, you'll enjoy this, but I may as well share with everyone else. Some time ago we had friends from Colorado come out to visit in the winter. After leaving here they wanted to see the redwoods and northern California coast. One night they set up by the mouth of the Klamath, sleeping in their camper shell. Another guy was sleeping in his car on a gravel bar down by the river. It rained all night, and when our friends got up the guy's car had water up to near the tops of the wheels. They threw rocks at his car to wake him up. I think a boat came to get him, as a I recall.