Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

I like it! There's so many smaller gear makers that all the options can be bewildering (for example, my bridge hammock from Jacks R Better which is another small company you won't see much).

My friend (fellow LF photographer, ex-Navy, and big outdoors guy) recommended an Osprey 70L backpack for a cheap-ish, workhorse pack, I think because it had a separate pocket area that could hold the LF gear. But I like the idea of an entire separate and contained bag for the LF gear to go into, that can be easily separated. For example - setting down the pack at base, and going out to shoot some before setting up camp and such. Certainly wouldn't want to have to bring the whole kit and caboodle just to shoot a sheet. For this last trip, I had my Chamonix in its wrap, a small shoulder bag with lenses, and then a stuff-sack with film holders. Kind of a pain to work out of, but the only way I could get it all in there.

There's one of those Terraframe packs, but the larger 80L one, on eBay...maybe I can get a deal. Definitely can't swing $450 right now, but I just got some work that I might could allocate some funds from...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    My friend (fellow LF photographer, ex-Navy, and big outdoors guy) recommended an Osprey 70L backpack
    Osprey makes nice kit--I think all of the "name brands," e.g. Gregory, Deuter, Granite Gear etc. would serve you well, though most of it will be "off-shored" at the price point we're talking about. ("Berry compliant" packs from the military divisions of these companies will be pretty spendy.)

Otherwise, I'm thinking that 70L might be a bare minimum for you--maybe if we can make you promise just one format per outing...

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Olympus 28mm 3.5 adapted to Pen-F mount, then that is adapted to Fuji-x. Last weekend on Mt. Graham.

Those little Oly OM lenses really pack a punch, and small and light enough to toss in your pocket. I used them for quite a while with an adaptor on my Canon 5D2, but once the Sony A7R series came out with in-body stabilization, I sold off the Olys and resurrected my older Canon FD lenses from storage (Canon shooter from waaaay back).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    make a giant tent
    That might have come in handy...

. . Camp Siberia. 1961. .Our first long-distance hike (5 nights, 26+ miles around Oregon's Mount Hood Timberline Trail), with crude equipment. ...Army surplus mummy bags and wood/canvas "Trapper Nelson" backpacks. plastic tarp tents, "picnic grade" jackets and outerwear. Fortunately the weather was tolerable, and we learned a lot about wilderness travel and equipment.
    1961-2 Camp Siberia by Reinhold S., on Flickr. . No-name 6x6 TLR, bargain basement film.

Very nice and fashionable!

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    . . Camp Siberia. 1961. .Our first long-distance hike (5 nights, 26+ miles around Oregon's Mount Hood Timberline Trail), with crude equipment. ...Army surplus mummy bags and wood/canvas "Trapper Nelson" backpacks. plastic tarp tents, "picnic grade" jackets and outerwear. Fortunately the weather was tolerable, and we learned a lot about wilderness travel and equipment.
    1961-2 Camp Siberia by Reinhold S., on Flickr. . No-name 6x6 TLR, bargain basement film.
    Last edited by diversey; 10-Sep-2019 at 11:33.

Like!
    Tin Can

Thanks all,
    That goofy photo is a treasure to us, now that we're too fragile (at 84) to "go backpacking" any more.
    Sigh... fond memories of our first Camp Siberia.
    Reinhold
    Last edited by Reinhold Schable; 10-Sep-2019 at 12:30.

Typical day trip with my son in the Canadian Rockies. Taking the Deardorff for a long walk
    IMG_1635 by , on Flickr photo by Kris Y
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1635.jpg  

Nice!

Remind me of my hiking trip in Jasper National Park.

Mount Edith Cavell, Jasper, Alberta, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Typical day trip with my son in the Canadian Rockies. Taking the Deardorff for a long walk
    IMG_1635 by , on Flickr photo by Kris Y