Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Drew Wiley

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Egad, Taboose? !! Wonder if I'll ever make it up that oven climb at my age? Lake Basin is still on my bucket list. For those of you not in the "know", Taboose is one of the "Fearsome Foursome" passes of the east side of the southern Sierra. It begins in desert and climbs about 7000 feet to the actual pass. I've always opted for the easier passes that start high to begin with, like Kearsarge, Bishop, or Army, though I have done my share of strenuous off-trail approaches, like Lamarck Col. In the background you can see Arrow Peak. Lake Basin would be toward theright, off the current trail behind those ridges. In between is the canyon, Muro Blanco, itself untrailed but doable if you don't mind a lot of brush. But your previouspic, Thomas, looks a lot more like the vicinity of Chocolate Peak, looking east on the way up to Bishop Pass, and not along the Muir Trail. Am I right?

Drew Wiley

... I just noticed your post of Evolution Basin too. Sapphire Lake with those two peaks in the background was the first color image I ever printed myself. It came
    out surprisingly well, although the chrome was upside-down in the carrier and the image reversed. I printed a dawn shot of Clyde Minaret the same day, in the correct orientation after I scratched my head about the prior image.

Waterfalls of Ordesa y Monte Period National Park. Hasselblad Xpan, 45mm, Foma 100

Ordesa by Alex C, on Flickr

Hiked to Springer Mountain, the Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail today (see my thread in the Location & Travel subforum).

Here's a few pictures from the day. All taken with my Nikon SP 2005 and Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 lens, on T-Max 100 dev'd in FX-39:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Couple of iphone/instagram shots from my hike last July. Enontekiö, Lapland, Finland.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_lappi_somasjarvi.jpg   2_lappi_kilpisjarvi.jpg   3_lappi_sieddesaiva.jpg   4_lappi_sieddesaiva_toyo.jpg  

Ray Van Nes

Thought I would throw my hat in the ring. Here is an image of me on King's Creek Ridge in Kananaskis - that's in Canada - eh. It shows me with my Graflex Century which is a work horse. Getting up there is a grunt as it has over 700m (2300 ft.) with no switchbacks. I have also hauled my 4x5 Chamonix up there along with a 6 x12 back. I have yet to produce an image I am totally satisfied with on that ridge although it is quite spectacular ,especially early summer when there is still snow on the peaks behind. I have series which is based on being up high called Icelines and Ridgelines which is on my website www.rayvannesphotography.com Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ray and Camera 5.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	154769

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Cuernos del Paine from Lake Pehoe - Torres del Paine National Park, Patagonia.

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...2820_large.jpg

I hired a motor craft in Puerto Natales to drop me off at the parks boundary and hiked ~ 13 or so miles into the park. This was the scenery as I approached Lake Pehoe. Pentax 67II.

Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Flowers & Rock - The John Muir Trail.

Hugging the very last step down when decending Mather Pass. I believe that the rock is potasium feldspar which gives it the pinkish color. Pentax K1000.

Thomas

This third one (an oak?) is wild. and wonderfully dynamic. much to find in that image.
    amazing retention of highlights. Is the FX-39 doing that? or Tonal compression from digitizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Hiked to Springer Mountain, the Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail today (see my thread in the Location & Travel subforum).

Here's a few pictures from the day. All taken with my Nikon SP 2005 and Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 lens, on T-Max 100 dev'd in FX-39:

~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Thanks! Yes I've had pretty good results with FX-39 in retaining highlights. This is a fairly straight scan, not much done to it.

In the FX-39 information, it says FX-39 was specifically developed for T-grain films and that it "does not compress midtones." I haven't done anything like rigorous analysis of densities but it definitely seems to give T-grain films a bit more snap. That and Acufine are my favorite developers (Acufine for traditional films).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome