Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

David Schaller

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    A quick iPhone snap of my wife Marlene and myself on Sept. 4th, 2016...on the summit of Mt. Madison - our final peak of NH's 48 4000 footers. That night we stayed at Madison hut, and as the sun set I took the photo of Star Lake (2nd photo) - with Mt. Madison in the background - using my Fuji-Voigtlander 667W, TMY, and orange filter. The next day, as we were hiking out by way of Caps ridge, we decided to climb Jefferson once more - at the summit of which Marlene said..."hey, let's call this #1!" And so a new adventure begins...climbing the 48 once more. We are now up to #13, and plan to knock off a few more this summer. Now claiming 124 years between us...our strategy is to start at an obscenely slow pace - then try to pick things up a bit as we progress. Seems to work so far!
    Edit - Just gotta say (out of vanity?) that the Star Lake photo is much sharper than it appears here!

Attachment 175262
    Attachment 175263
    Nice John. It's great that you did Madison last. I have done all the 4000 footers over the years, but never kept track of them in any systematic way. My last one was probably Owl's Head or Isolation. I don't remember. But I think I'm going to follow your lead, and start over, keeping track this time.

We'd actually thought Owl's head would be our last also...until, on the second to last day of a seven day hike four years earlier (including both Franconia and Presidential ranges) - on our last stretch between Lakes of the Clouds and Madison huts - we ran into a bit of weather...lightning on the summit of Jefferson (not a good place to be...could feel the electricity), shortly thereafter stuck behind a rock in a hail storm in Edmunds Col...then a zero visibility slog to Thunderstorm Junction when, with Adams a short half mile, we instead veered left, keeping to the Gulfside trail until we reached the hut. Good choice! I've been hiking these mountains for over fifty years, and learned early to trust my gut about when to leave a summit alone.

On our more recent, and finally successful attempt at Adams and Madison...we came up over Caps Ridge - down into Edmunds Col. Up to T-storm Jct. and this time, in absolutely perfect (clear skies, high 50's, no wind!) weather - we turned right and soon stood on Adams' summit. From there, down Madison hut - where we left most of our stuff behind and scrambled up to the summit of Madison, weather still perfect - as it was the following day for our return back over "the Caps"...including our re-climb of Jefferson to commemorate our new start of the 48. I'll repost the photo of Star Lake (Madison presiding in background) as this one, I hope, should look a bit better: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Lake, Mt. Madison.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	175275

I have to confess that initially my Colorado upbringing made me kind of snicker at 4000 footers. But it is possible you start from an altitude that requires more altitude gain. We can often start at 12,000 feet or more for the fourteeners in Colorado. I can only claim about 6 and that was when i was much younger and slimmer.

--- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    I have to confess that initially my Colorado upbringing made me kind of snicker at 4000 footers. But it is possible you start from an altitude that requires more altitude gain. We can often start at 12,000 feet or more for the fourteeners in Colorado. I can only claim about 6 and that was when i was much younger and slimmer.

Yeah, it's all relative. Here I'm only at 10,000 ft with another 4,000 ft to go. The tree zone ended around 6,000 feet.

View From Camp Muir by tuco, on Flickr

And there is a lot less oxygen at 14,000 feet. Or rather a lot less pressure.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

tuco...magnificent photo! Wonderful feeling of depth, scale, and atmosphere...bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    tuco...magnificent photo! Wonderful feeling of depth, scale, and atmosphere...bravo!
    Thanks. My only regret now is that I didn't take the time to use a tripod. I was really exhausted and the shot has motion blur.

Nice photos guys.
    Reading your experiences is interesting. Georgia's highest mountain is just shy of 4800'. When I was in Arizona I only got up to about 9000' (Chiricahua mountains), and I got pretty sick afterwards from the altitude (that time I literally left GA at pretty much sea level).

I posted the scan of this in the MF thread but here's an 8x10 print I made last night, from the top of Big Cedar Mountain (3700') with a different crop:

Century 2x3, 103mm Trioptar, Acros 100 dev'd in Pyrocat, printed on Ilford Warmtone semi-matte dev'd in Ansco 130:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Near Clayton in Contra Costa County, CA. Circa 2003.

This was my first LF exposure and first light on my brand new Toyo 45cf (no Fresnel at the time) and brand new Rodenstock 150mm apo-sironar-S. It took me nearly an hour to set the camera up, focus, and set the exposure before I finally tripped the shutter.. A hiker that I spotted in the valley about 2 miles out and 500' down to the left arrived just seconds after the shutter was tripped This location is located at the mid-point of a 7.5 mile loop hike and was shot on Fuji ReadyLoad RVP which I used exclusively back then.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ... When I was in Arizona I only got up to about 9000' (Chiricahua mountains), and I got pretty sick afterwards from the altitude (that time I literally left GA at pretty much sea level).
    Great image! Love the light. How much of the dark band of clouds to keep is tough to figure out!

I worked on the south rim of the Grand Canyon in 1977 (May to mid-Sept) -- 7000' after living at sea level all my life. I played some basketball in the gym and just about fainted from the lack of oxygen! But one's body makes it the new normal after a long summer of hiking, photography, pumping gasoline, making love and other physical activity at altitude. I returned to Humboldt County and planted trees in the local mountains below 2000 feet -- I had no problem hiking up and down the mountains with 600 tree seedlings around my waist in that nice thick air (at least when it was not filled with water/rain)! Ah, to be young and dumb again...it was a pleasure to start university classes again that January and just haul around books.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China