Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Any format? Even digital?

I'm pretty new to all this hiking but I really like it. I recently climbed the highest peak in the country (which isn't very high) and brought my DSLR with me, some pictures below. I brought my Texas Leica with me as well but not up to the top.

Visibility was...limited. For 7 of the total 13 hours of walking up and down.

The day after:

Beyond that I've only been out hiking twice before, but I have a long time ahead of me (I'm only 30) to explore this hobby.

That first one is fascinating. What is with all the cairns?
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by monotux View Post
    ...Beyond that I've only been out hiking twice before, but I have a long time ahead of me (I'm only 30) to explore this hobby.
    You have plenty of time to enjoy it! The fog image is fun!

Steve -- balancing rocks is the new thing (well, not brand new). Can be very obnoxious when done in heavily visited areas. A way for people to yell, "I have been here!", or perhaps "I am so bored with all this nature stuff. What can I do to make my mark on the land?" A new twist to the wilderness ethic of "Take only pictures, leave only footprints -- and a bunch of arty rock piles." I am not a fan of it -- I even try to minimize my footprints I leave behind.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    That first one is fascinating. What is with all the cairns?
    Steve -- balancing rocks is the new thing (well, not brand new). Can be very obnoxious when done in heavily visited areas. A way for people to yell, "I have been here!", or perhaps "I am so bored with all this nature stuff. What can I do to make my mark on the land?" A new twist to the wilderness ethic of "Take only pictures, leave only footprints -- and a bunch of arty rock piles." I am not a fan of it -- I even try to minimize my footprints I leave behind.
    The stone piles (cairns?) in this case are located after a long, steep climb (obviously, it's a mountain...) before a decline and another long, steep climb before reaching the peak. We were pretty surprised seeing the amount of cairns on the first peak, but on our way back from the peak we made a pile ourselves.

David Schaller

I'm with you on this Vaughn! That picture above shows the ridiculous lengths to which this fad is going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapseed.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	154645

Taken on a hike along Donaldson Run in Arlington, VA. There are a surprising number of wooded trails in the immediate environs of Arlington/Washington DC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foamer

Recently returned from a trip through Glacier NP/Banff/Jasper Park/Edmonton/Saskatchawan. Most of my photos were taken with Nikon DSLR, but I always bring a vintage film camera too. This time it was a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa RF with a Heliar lens. Love that Heliar! First shot is of Waterton Lake, Alberta. second shot is of the Great Falls of the Missouri River (Montana.) Third was done with Nikon DSLR using the 24mm shift lens, along Icefield Parkway, Alberta. It's a 3-shot pano. These are surprisingly easy to do with a shift lens. Wish Nikon made more than just three of these lenses. We didn't make any of the silly rock piles, but I'll say their better than carving the trees.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB20WatertonLkM.jpg   AB18GreatFallsBesM.jpg   River PanoM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

From the Wayback machine!!!

I must have taken this in 1979. I hiked the university's Linhof monorail in its aluminum case (strapped to the top of my Kelty external frame backpack) and some big old pod about 8 miles up the trail to Canyon Creek Lakes, Trinity Alps. Then hiked straight up the mountain from the lakes another 1000 feet or so (at about 6700') for this image of Thompson Peak (9003')...looking roughly north.

The photo is a recent platinum print of that old neg -- just a rough print to judge contrast, etc -- not too pretty of a print, but will work on it more one of these days.

Thompson Peak is second from the left. On another trip I hiked up to the ridge between Wedding Cake Peak (first on the left) and Thompson, but just with the Rolleiflex. Minor frostbite on my hands as I made my way down from the ridge -- had to visually check my finger-holds as I could not feel my hands anymore. It was so nice and warm on the west side, but oh so cold as the wind blew over the snow upwards on the shaded east side!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UpperCanyonCreekBasin.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Lookin' Back - The John Muir Trail

What a great hiking trail! Pentax K1000.

Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Taboose Pass (?)

I don't recall with certainity where this is but I think it is the Taboose Pass entrance into Kings Canyon NP. Pentax K1000.

Thomas

PS: It's Taboose Pass.
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 6-Sep-2016 at 14:44. Reason: Confirm location.