Fomapan 100 developed in R09
    T

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6376-Edit.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	156430

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

I'm impressed with you guys hiking seriously with your Pentax 67's. That thing is too dang heavy, and needs a big beefy tripod to counteract the shutter shock too! I'm sticking with my little 2x3 Century Graphics - just bought another one for $75, a basic one with no rangefinder and a newer, lighter body - complete with neato red bellows too!

Here's one with said Century and 80mm f/2.8 Xenotar, on Provia 100F:

This was deep in the Appalachian Trail, about 5 miles from the nearest trailhead, along "Justus Creek." I cheated a little bit - I took both a b&w and a color image, and then overlaid the b&w image on the color in the water to give more tone to the sunlit water which was whited out.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'm impressed with you guys hiking seriously with your Pentax 67's. That thing is too dang heavy, and needs a big beefy tripod to counteract the shutter shock too!
    I shoot my Pentax 6x7 with a WLF (aka the folding hood) and it makes the camera much lighter. And most of my Pentax 67 pictures are handhold. When I compare them to my 500C/M, Mamiya 7II and Fuji GSW6900II pictures, they look pretty much the same. So with a choice of those other 3 cameras I have, I still reach for my Pentax 6x7. And you only need a large tripod when you have long, heavy glass on it which would be true for any other medium formant camera too.

I do agree handheld is where the Pentax is best! I have a 67ii and like it a lot - for certain things (especially longer lenses, like 400+). I did a test once with an older Pentax 67 on my bigger tripod shot at 1/30th, 1/15th, and 1/8th and it bounced the whole tripod. Since I seemed to shoot around there and hiking-wise I use/prefer a smaller tripod I just don't hike long distances with it. The lenses are indeed awesome though.

On a a smaller tripod, put your hand on top of the camera and gently push down. It helps a lot.

Yep done that too, and it does help...I just prefer less weight, less size, and less trouble! Really the small tripod I have is not appropriate for the Pentax, at about 2.5 pounds including head. It's not really even good for a DSLR camera of moderate size, but it handles my Chamonix 4x5 and similarly-sized/weight cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yep done that too, and it does help...I just prefer less weight, less size, and less trouble! Really the small tripod I have is not appropriate for the Pentax, at about 2.5 pounds including head. It's not really even good for a DSLR camera of moderate size, but it handles my Chamonix 4x5 and similarly-sized/weight cameras.
    I hear yeah. I didn't have my M7II at the time when I took that Mt. Rainier trip; otherwise, I would have taken it for sure. I have a M9 now that makes for a compact hiking camera.

Ray Van Nes

Yes I am another who uses the Century 2 x3. Mine is the " mahoganite" or bakelite model. I stripped off the rangefinder as I did not use it to save weight and now it weighs 3 lbs including the lens. It is rugged , rigid and light. The lenses are also small which is also a consideration when hiking. It has been up many summits as well as my go to camera for travel.

Drew Wiley

A basic P67 kit isn't any lighter than a decent 4x5 folder with similar focal lengths and even a few filmholders included. The only advantage it has is speed of operation and greater resistance to wind in terms of not having a bellows/kite. But it's that bellows that allow far lighter lenses, even in longer focal lengths, as
    well a view camera movements. So it's really a tradeoff. And over the years, I have routinely opted for a view camera, and have generally been disappointed in the few instances I took the 6x7, which incidentally, I used exclusively for a brief period before moving up to 4x5. More often the P67 serves as a snapshot system for road travel or especially rainy dayhikes, or sheer fun with a long quickie telephoto, for wildlife etc. Now I'm experimenting with a Fuji GW690, which is far easier to handhold than a P67, much lighter, but obviously restricted to a 90mm lens. But I am getting excellent negs with it, and it is seriously cut into my need for 35mm. It's all fun. I experiment, knowing full well that at some point in geezerhood, my backpacking load will need to become progressively lighter.
    8x10 is still may favorite dayhike format.

Ray Van Nes

Interesting point. I have hiked with both 4 x5 and occasionally 5x7 as well as the Century 2 x3. I will post an image from the Century as I should have in the first note. This is from my Icelines & Ridgelines series which is on my website www.rayvannesphotography.com . Perhaps you can tell which is which, 4 x5 or 6 x9.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mt. Haddo & Aberdeen, Banff.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	156445